• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport The Behemoth Yak gets a Behemoth Brother/129" Pilot Yak (2)

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey Rob,

Try a few coats of Carnuba wax on the wing tube before you try sanding it. I had a really tight wing tube on the LX and someone told me to give that a shot and it worked. I don't care for sanding a wing tube because over time it will have material removed just through normal wear and tear. If you sand it down, it will get loose sooner than it should. Granted, I may fly the LX more than you fly the behemoth Yak so, it may not be an issue, just offering my 2 cents :)

BTW, over 150 flights on the LX and 180 since February :) Figure I will be right at 200 or more by the end of the year.

Have a great day!
Thank you Mark. I had thought I read something like this would work, but could not remember. I definitely will give it a shot. The left wing takes a lot to get the tube to slide in. But the right wing is almost impossible due to it being so tight. I hope it works.

Sounds like you have really been enjoying the good flying weather. Heck, I don't think I have 100 flights this year combined with all my planes. Good indication I've been working too many hours huh? That and building...ugh. lol

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I made a tool with an aluminum tube, some foam, and some stick-it sandpaper, and sanded the inside of the sockets. Just knocking the high spots and rough edges off does a world of good.

I've done the same thing but BOY I like that Canuba wax Idea :). I wonder if a leather soap would do the same thing?

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Thank you Mark. I had thought I read something like this would work, but could not remember. I definitely will give it a shot. The left wing takes a lot to get the tube to slide in. But the right wing is almost impossible due to it being so tight. I hope it works.

Sounds like you have really been enjoying the good flying weather. Heck, I don't think I have 100 flights this year combined with all my planes. Good indication I've been working too many hours huh? That and building...ugh. lol
I'd kill for 100 flights in a year. I just looked it up, this year I have a total of 17 between 3 airplanes.:( No wonder I've been so crabby.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Looking back at my logs, I average between 290 to 350 per year. I'm hoping to make up some lost ground in just over a week!
double-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
About all that is left now is to put the deflectors in the face of the cowl and drill choke rod holes for the choke pull rods. It was surprisingly easy to fit the cowl this time. I don't suppose it had anything to do with the two previous cowls huh? This step is definitely not a step I care to keep repeating. Lol.
groin-kick-smiley-emoticon.gif
At any rate, it's very close now fellas. I'll get her finished up tomorrow and post some photos. But just to entice ya'll and keep your mouth's watering...
20170823_202840.jpg 20170823_202831.jpg
20170823_223901.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
With the last screw tightened and the last bolt torqued, the Behemoth Yak (2) is now complete. I think it took me longer to get it outside for photos than it did to finish up the last minute items. I chose not to open up the lower rows of louvers at this time for a couple of reasons. One being, the temps on the previous Yak were really good and I didn't see any reason to open up more holes in the cowl. Now of course if the temps of each cylinder are too warm, then I most definitely will open the louvers and may even add the extra "STAR" painted louvers to the bottom of the cowl. The canister dumps are very inconspicuously hidden up in the lower portion of the cowl. They do dump in open air but may add some silicone extensions to get them below the opening in the cowl. They drop below the belly of the fuse by about an inch or two so I should not have any problems. The previous Yak stayed really clean with this setup so I may just forgo the extensions. Will have to wait and see after the initial maiden this weekend. So, everything buttoned up and tidied up, the big Yak is now complete. Here are a few photos to feast your eyes upon.

20170824_202803.jpg 20170824_202811.jpg 20170824_202837.jpg 20170824_202856.jpg 20170824_202905.jpg 20170824_203020_001.jpg 20170824_203036.jpg 20170824_203042.jpg 20170824_203050_001.jpg 20170824_203126.jpg 20170824_203138.jpg 20170824_203202.jpg 20170824_203248.jpg 20170824_203259.jpg 20170824_203321.jpg 20170824_203651_001.jpg 20170824_203756.jpg 20170824_203809.jpg 20170824_203912.jpg 20170824_203946.jpg

That first initial maiden flight and the next few after that are going to be the scariest and most nerve racking flights I think I have had to look forward to in a very long time. Even the Jtec Pitts didn't worry me as much as this one. I am not concerned about the air worthiness of the airframe. The compete setup has been tested and proven with previous Yak. But that 212 is going to worry me a lot until I get at least ten flights on her. But as I once said earlier, she will be spending the first ten flights up where the 747's fly.

We had a sudden storm blow through here this evening. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get the big Yak out for photos. But it did subside after about 10 minutes and became a beautiful evening. I am hoping the weather this weekend proves to be good enough to get some flights in.

I would like to personally thank a score of gents that without their selflessness, the Behemoth Yak could not have been possible. First, Steve Coleman from Chief Aircraft. He did all the leg work in making it possible for me to acquire this brand new airframe. Tim (Supa) Hanstine, Northwest RC. He painstakingly went through all his "G-Force" pilots and sent the perfect dude for this beast. Not to mention he is always on hand for what ever I need. Props or whatever...Tim is the man. Chad and Natasha from Taildragger RC. Without them, I could never have gotten the exact fit and the bad ass components that the Yak sports. Gerhard Stejskal from Aircraft International. His patience with my constant "hounding" him and perfect diligence in getting the 212 back together and back to me in time to get it mounted. Van (@Maxwell1945) for sending me his "Brand New" never used 5.25" Airman wheels. Although I received an email from Jennifer from Airman Wheels stating that they should have the replacement wheels for me in time for the event, I was afraid that shipping delays would slow them up. So Van sent me his just to make this all come together. Eric from B&E graphix. I am very appreciative of all the hard work and exceedingly fast service in getting me "exactly" what I was hoping for. And it goes without saying, to each and "EVERY" one of you fellas that have faithfully followed along with this assembly/build. Offering advice and suggestions when I needed it. Also for sharing in the pain of the loss of the first big Yak. I have to guess it saddened you guys as much as it did me. I raise my hat to all of my Giant Scale News Family and friends that constantly encourage and push me to continue in this really great hobby.

Stay tuned gents... we fly this weekend.

Oh man, here we go again.....

Last edited: