• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

The EXTRA 300 EXT Build Thread

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
On the CG thing... totally personal preference. There is a common misconception that 3d planes should be tail heavy... that being said, a neutral cg is tail heavy compared to most IMAC or precision setups. I would not recommend setting it up any further back than nuetral as you really start to pay a penalty in terms of twitchy tail surface controls, difficult landings, and poor tracking in the air.

I personally like to have a little push when inverted because the plane tracks so much better for drawing good lines.

AKfreak

150cc
lose the tailwheel altogether...put some sullivan goldenrod (the yellow, inside part) on the tail of the fuselage (in the shape of a "U") and go fly!

at least that will get you in the air until you get a real tailwheel.

Ill just wait. I ordered a CF tail wheel from Aeroworks for $27 bucks. The entire package weight is 1oz. I will see where that puts me. I am literately 3/4" aft from the recommended CG point. Now I know this may sound ignorant, but I want to confirm that I am doing it right. The extra should be measured upside down correct?

AKfreak

150cc
So the plane is finished and it flys well. It's no 3D monster like the EF MSX is, but it can harrier, and wad up very nicely. I want to thank all who participated in this thread. Your help was invaluable. This plane is just a stepping stone for me and it's now time to reveal what it is. The plane id made by a company called Fly-Model. They are based in China, but there is a USA distributor called RC-JetsWorld that I am working with. They make all sorts of different planes, however they want to build some 3D specific planes. That is where I come in. I bought the Extra 300 to test, but decided to extend my hand to help them make it much much better. I made it perfectly clear that I will not be a part of a predatory business, and we will not be copying others work.

You see on the side I do 3D motion graphics and graphic design. I also have over 3,000 hours in 17 different types of real planes. I have been researching daily, talking to some of the best 3D pilots in the world for months to see what works and what doesn't. Armed with this information and my own vision for what a 3D airplane can be, I submitted some detailed drawings and my thoughts to the factory, and they are going to build my prototype.

I will be receiving the first plane in June, and I am way past excited. I will start a new thread, I spoke to Gyro on the phone to let him know what I am doing. I am not here to step on any of the vendors, and I hope the people I am working with will soon be a part of the 3Dforums team.

Stay tuned. AKf

AKfreak

150cc
Today Kim Quenette took a pull on the Fly-Model Extra 300. I don't think he was too impressed. He is a hot pilot used to flying some of the best models. He did say the setup could be made to work better (and I agree). He liked the servos, but the power was not good, and he was not happy with the response of the elevator. (all that will change in June ;).

All in all he did make the plane look good, it just wasn't to his liking based on what he is used to flying.
[video=youtube_share;FV331fbyl0Q]http://youtu.be/FV331fbyl0Q[/video]

Ahblair4

70cc twin V2
Today Kim Quenette took a pull on the Fly-Model Extra 300. I don't think he was too impressed. He is a hot pilot used to flying some of the best models. He did say the setup could be made to work better (and I agree). He liked the servos, but the power was not good, and he was not happy with the response of the elevator. (all that will change in June ;).

All in all he did make the plane look good, it just wasn't to his liking based on what he is used to flying.
[video=youtube_share;FV331fbyl0Q]http://youtu.be/FV331fbyl0Q[/video]

Tell him to fly at the North Field this Saturday! It's been too long!