• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Went flying yesterday and noticed after takeoff with the Extra that things were a little louder than normal so I land the plane and checked the spinner, because it sounded like the spinner had come loose. Well, the spinner was tight so I took it off and checked prop bolts, 4 BROKEN bolts!! I have NEVER had a prop bolt break until yesterday. The bolts were about 5 tightening sequences since new, which was about 45 days ago. It damaged the new Falcon prop where the spinner dug into it pretty good, so I will be getting another prop, but just trying to figure out why the prop bolts broke :( I did nothing different from what I have been doing for years, so this is a stumper to me.
Wow, that hurts a bit huh? Just glad you heard the noise and got her down safely before any further damage could happen. What prop you running Mark? Size that is... I have a brand new 29x9w I'd like to get rid of.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Glad she decided to act up AFTER she was on the ground :) Sounds like a switch may have died in the tx.
Normally I'd agree with you. Problem is, all my rates and switches are set identical on all my other planes. No other plane has any issues. Just the 260. Ugh!!!

thurmma

150cc
Wow, that hurts a bit huh? Just glad you heard the noise and got her down safely before any further damage could happen. What prop you running Mark? Size that is... I have a brand new 29x9w I'd like to get rid of.
I am running a 28x9 Falcon. I think the 29x9 may be a bit much for the 106, especially being a wide. What were you running it on?

Man that sucks Warren @mulehead1969. Some times stuff happens in this hobby and the "out of the blue" things that damage our "babies" is sometimes the most head scratching of all. Glad you have a diagnosis and fix. Those mounting bolts are some of the most unpredictable of all in that I have had some never come loose on some birds and on other birds they come loose constantly no matter what I do.o_O Agree With Donnie @ChickenBalls That we probably need to talk about safety and be proactive. The good news here is that our procedures worked in that the safety fence did its job and nobody got hurt!:applause: As safety officer this is a big relief to me and Donnie's point about all members paying attention to safety is a priority on busy days with families visiting. Saturday was an example where I was distracted because my son Ben was able to come out to the field for the first time in some time and was flying his first big gasser and my attention most of the time was with him. A lesson for all of us GSN members to not rely on one person to do any specific job for your club all the time. Club membership has its privileges but also responsibilities.:)

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
True there may not be any thing wrong with the factory bolts but 4 larger bolts with lock nuts as apposed to 8 smaller with lock tite, I have never had the larger 4 come loose but have had factory back out more than once.
I just saw this, and @Jetpainter 's response as well. This makes good sense to have the threw bolts, and as jetpainter mentioned, it'd have to take firewall with it. I'm going in on the Slick, and Sukhoi, and checking my 8. Justin and I both had some issue couple months back, and I haven't had cowl off since. Thank you @mulehead1969 for making me all paranoid.:lol2:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I am running a 28x9 Falcon. I think the 29x9 may be a bit much for the 106, especially being a wide. What were you running it on?
Yeah, you are probably right. The wide would be a bit much for the 106. Even though it's a 3dub.
I just saw this, and @Jetpainter 's response as well. This makes good sense to have the threw bolts, and as jetpainter mentioned, it'd have to take firewall with it. I'm going in on the Slick, and Sukhoi, and checking my 8. Justin and I both had some issue couple months back, and I haven't had cowl off since. Thank you @mulehead1969 for making me all paranoid.:lol2:
Better to be paranoid and proactive than complacent and have to deal with the consequences later right?

ChickenBalls

"Cool Guy"
Man that sucks Warren @mulehead1969. Some times stuff happens in this hobby and the "out of the blue" things that damage our "babies" is sometimes the most head scratching of all. Glad you have a diagnosis and fix. Those mounting bolts are some of the most unpredictable of all in that I have had some never come loose on some birds and on other birds they come loose constantly no matter what I do.o_O Agree With Donnie @ChickenBalls That we probably need to talk about safety and be proactive. The good news here is that our procedures worked in that the safety fence did its job and nobody got hurt!:applause: As safety officer this is a big relief to me and Donnie's point about all members paying attention to safety is a priority on busy days with families visiting. Saturday was an example where I was distracted because my son Ben was able to come out to the field for the first time in some time and was flying his first big gasser and my attention most of the time was with him. A lesson for all of us GSN members to not rely on one person to do any specific job for your club all the time. Club membership has its privileges but also responsibilities.:)
@combat chicken I can tell ya this, heck with them PVC flight stations. I'm all for beefing up what we have actually. Replacing some wood, and real fencing, instead of silt screen plastic. I bet Warren would vote for rebar reinforced concrete safety wall right now. I'm gonna talk with both the new guys, kinda huddle up under shelter, and have a phonics understanding of the safety rules. I understand they signed application that says they read, understand, and agree to follow our few safety rules, but gotta get em on the path, so no one has to baby sit them. I was the new guy at one time, and know it's difficult to find where you fit, and learn how things work. We get it worked out, Thank you for being our Safety Officer, and even bigger THANK YOU for not being a power hungry Nazi safety officer nut.

emtp275

100cc
I can make the same statement about the eight smaller factory bolts, "I have NEVER had the eight smaller bolts come loose", and I do not use lock tight or lock washers, and at the end of a great flying the planes go through a complete inspection, Besides I like the eight smaller bolts, that way you can inspect or do engine repairs by just removing the engine from the front, if needed. FWIW
No lock tite nor washers? I think you may need to try your luck at playing the lotto.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Accidents can happen to anyone. Even if you doing everything right, things can go horribly wrong. But, we all need to do what we can to keep ourselves and others safe.

Having been a Safety Officer many years ago I know that at times it can be like herding cats. Between the people that don't think the rules apply to them, the ones that don't know or understand the rules, and the one that are just plain idiots, the job can be tough.

I never sweated the small stuff. As long as they followed the basic rules. If someone was the only one flying and he wanted to make passes flying the pattern the wrong direction I couldn't give a Rat's behind less. Other club members would come to me with things like that and complain about it like little school girls tattling on someone.

There were a few things that would get you a butt chewing. Flying over the pits or parking lot, taking off out of the pits, landing across the runway into the pits, and taxiing too fast into the pits. Can see a pattern there?

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Hey Rob,

You may be right about your 3W ignition module causing the problem. I have talked to a guy at my flying field who has had intermittent ignition problems with a 3W. I have never had any servo's I use cause interference in any of my planes. The only interference issue's I've ever had is with the link between by brain and my fingers. The results were always the same, but I certainly cannot blame that on a servo. . . . . :laughing: