• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The I'm going out flying thread 2016

thurmma

150cc
Hey Rob,

I am so glad you decided to rebuild your Behemoth Yak again. Am awesome plane like that deserves to be rebuilt. I have never tried a Pilot ARF, but I may just try one to see how I like it.

With regards to your second question. Of course we want you to do a build thread. . . . . :yesss:

My Pilot 42% Edge was one of the best flying planes I have ever owned. Solid built and a joy to fly.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Alrighty then. Assembly/build thread it will be.
double-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Well I threatened to send the DA120 from my Yak into DA last weekend, guess it decided it wanted to be sent in all its own :rolleyes:o_O

19942625_10214472279547700_772098721650150859_o.jpg
19944396_10214472280347720_3485013747047660523_o.jpg

Looks like the gasket on one of the cylinders was leaking slightly, I don't know for how long but it's possible that's causing some power loss. Didn't break anything as far as I can tell, HOPING it's just a new hub and front bearing at the most to fix it.

The fun starts at 3:25:

You can hear the engine throttle back at the bottom of the waterfall. Oh well, few hundred bucks in parts and it'll be good as new-ish again.

Total damages:

1x cowl
1x canopy/hatch
1x rudder
1x Falcon 27x11

Decided I'm going to try the Falcon 28x9.5 prop on this airplane too. It spools faster than the 27x11 and gives more low end bite, which is what I prefer. Already ordered the propeller :)

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well I threatened to send the DA120 from my Yak into DA last weekend, guess it decided it wanted to be sent in all its own :rolleyes:o_O

View attachment 97370 View attachment 97371

Looks like the gasket on one of the cylinders was leaking slightly, I don't know for how long but it's possible that's causing some power loss. Didn't break anything as far as I can tell, HOPING it's just a new hub and front bearing at the most to fix it.

You can hear the engine throttle back at the bottom of the waterfall. Oh well, few hundred bucks in parts and it'll be good as new-ish again.

Total damages:

1x cowl
1x canopy/hatch
1x rudder
1x Falcon 27x11

Decided I'm going to try the Falcon 28x9.5 prop on this airplane too. It spools faster than the 27x11 and gives more low end bite, which is what I prefer. Already ordered the propeller :)
That was painful. Man it really sounds much worse than it is on grass. Like you said a few dollars and some time and it will be back in the air.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!

View attachment 97370 View attachment 97371

Total damages:

1x cowl
1x canopy/hatch
1x rudder
1x Falcon 27x11

Dang! Tanner, that sucks a bit one. It just wasn't running at it's peak was it? You could tell when you fired it up and started running it up. It's like one of the cylinders was starving at first, then picked up. Sorry to see that, but I know you'll get her ship/shape real soon.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Dang! Tanner, that sucks a bit one. It just wasn't running at it's peak was it? You could tell when you fired it up and started running it up. It's like one of the cylinders was starving at first, then picked up. Sorry to see that, but I know you'll get her ship/shape real soon.

This engine has been lacking on power for as long as I've had it. It's very evident when compared to my new DA120, this is an old V1 engine. It's possible that it's just worn out, it's got probably more than 1000 flights on it (some 3-400 of those are by my own hand).

Since I didn't have an airplane to fly today I got to work on the Yak. Anybody that knows these Pilot airplanes knows that the top of the motor box usually has an "X" pattern, after years of abuse it finally gave out so I decided to cut it out and dremel it smooth. You can also see that I just cut off the top of the smashed F1 former, the area I cut serves as absolutely no structural support for anything so there isn't any point in keeping it. When the airplane is assembled you won't notice anything. The holes that secure the cowling and the canopy hatch pins are all elongated so I am going to fill them in and glue in new supports.

19955936_10214487515608592_2170998445162183360_o.jpg

All dremeled smooth again.
19942790_10214487515168581_8515044681864249438_o.jpg

I also made a new hatch for this area, and mounted the ignition to it.

19800695_10214487514648568_503273759909249304_o.jpg

The ignition was originally mounted just in front of the hatch.

19800947_10214487514048553_4559392484018060445_o.jpg

In the crash the plywood floor securing the tank pulled up at the cutout slots, so I glued in a new piece of 1/8" ply to strengthen the area up.

19477636_10214487513008527_5185785892799750870_o.jpg

I also removed the Fromeco Badger switch and Sahara regulator for the ignition and instead replaced them with a Tech Aero IBEC I had on hand. The red battery tray pictured above was also removed right after I took the picture. So overall I added some weight, but removed more weight. Aside from the SWB dual rudder tray, there's not much else I can remove to lighten this airplane up.

At some point, one of the SWB engine standoffs fell out of the airplane when the bolt came loose so it was replaced with a generic standoff- this was before I owned the airplane, I never bothered to do anything about it because it never gave me any problems. With this crash, I don't want to take any risks with the bolts or standoffs being compromised so I'll order new ones from SWB, and snag some new grade 8 bolts from the hardware store. I am also going to fit blind nuts to the rear of the firewall instead of using washers and lock nuts. Once the engine is bolted in I'll use locknuts to keep the bolts from backing out.

Also on my agenda is to fix the spats from being so loose. Right now they are secured to the gear legs with the axles, the axles clamp down on them to keep them in place, but over time they loosen up from the wood in the spats compressing. I plan to resolve this by bolting the spats to the gear legs using blind nuts and 3mm bolts.

I think that's about it....

Last edited: