Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport The Kool Kanary (Giant Hot Kanary)

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale Scratch and Kit Build Threads' started by Bipeguy03, Oct 5, 2017.

1. dhal22

dhal22 GSN Sponsor Tier 1

me too.!

stangflyer and Bipeguy03 like this.
  2. Glad to have all you guys following along again! :D

I'm just about done with the shop, so I'll probably start cutting ribs and formers tomorrow evening.

3. And we're off!! I started and finished cutting the wing ribs this afternoon. Tomorrow I'm going to get the fuse and stab parts cut, then I can break out the glue.

WP_20171007_001.jpg

Big box of wood :D

WP_20171007_002.jpg

Laying out the ribs, couldn't just make square blanks as the aspect ratio of the airfoil is too tall.

WP_20171007_003.jpg

All 32 ribs are cut! That was so much faster than the 56 ribs in the Krier haha.

4. HRRC Flyer

HRRC Flyer GSN Sponsor Tier 1

Wow, that's some mighty big chunks of balsa you have in that box. . . . . :yesss:

Jetpainter, stangflyer and Bipeguy03 like this.
  5. Yep! :)

This thing has quite a bit of carving to do. The wing tips, head rest and the toward fuse deck (front of the top wing to the firewall) are all carved blocks.

Jetpainter likes this.
  6. stangflyer

stangflyer I like 'em "BIG"!

shocked-smiley-emoticon.gif How the heck did I miss this? Ok...bring it on. I may not have tons of time to respond, but I will "FIND" the time to check in periodically. You do build some interesting planes no doubt. Oh and by the way, I want your shop for my very own. LOL

7. I like to have things that not a lot of other people have. That way I know when I show up to a fly in I have the only one there :)

Alky6, stangflyer and Jetpainter like this.
  8. Jetpainter

Jetpainter 640cc Uber Pimp

nm5whio.png

Bipeguy03, Alky6, BalsaDust and 4 others like this.
  9. All of the cutting is done, there is literally not much to this airplane lol

WP_20171008_001.jpg

stangflyer and pawnshopmike like this.
  10. With all of the cutting finished this afternoon, it was on to the fins nd rudder this evening.

WP_20171008_002.jpg

WP_20171008_003.jpg

The fin is framed up as a 1/4" x 1/2" balsa truss. Once I was done framing it, it got blocked out flush.

WP_20171008_004.jpg

I edge glued 1/16" sheets together, bock sanded them flat and then sheeted both side of the fin, this gave me an overall thickness of 3/8".

WP_20171008_005.jpg

The cord of the rudder was increased 3/4" which required me to edge glue 3" wide sheets of 3/8" balsa together and then cut the rudder out. I put the seam toward the trailing edge so it was away from the hinges.

WP_20171008_006.jpg

I put in some birch dowel hard points for tail brace wires. I'm not sure if it will need tail brace wires but better safe than sorry. I then hinged the fin and rudder and rounded the edges of the rudder. I'll round the edges of the fin once it's attached to the fuselage and I put on the dorsal fin.