• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC The new Dalton 300 SP / 330

I received an extremely friendly message from one of our very own subscribers to this thread, and he is going to help me with my battery tray, thank you again Tony. Very generous of you to offer your services to this model.

Here it is:

IMG_0393.JPG

He is going to manufacture some laser cut plywood to make a mount, which will be lifted to allow for the velcro straps to go around it. Should be awesome!

IMG_0394.JPG

I have also manufactured the FSS using the Finnish aircraft plywood. They are now glued in.
Now, all I have to do is drill the holes for the landing gear, which I have made a template of the bolt pattern thru the landing gear, and do not need to wait for it to be here to do this step now. Then, glue in the battery tray, and I will be able to glue on the fuselage sides. I will also manufacture the plywood caps for the root side of the stabs. I will do something I had never done before, so it should be pretty cool.

IMG_0390.JPG

I also made the FSS lighter by coring out these holes with a circular saw.

Additionally, the area where the wing bolts go, i intentionally made it, so there is no hole directly there!! LOL! we all know what a real PITA it is, if you drop one into the bottom of the fuselage.

IMG_0391.JPG

Hi @orthobird, firstly - loving this build log - thanks for sharing!

I swapped emails with Tony over last few days and he told me the 300SP kits will be ready to ship in about 4 weeks. I am sold on getting one shipped to UK, so need to prepare my workshop..

I don't have the luxury of a massive shop so am wondering what is the minimum sized of flat surface you think I will need to build to put this model together please? Also, how much space is needed at edge of work surface for motor box overhang?

Cheers

yakken

100cc
LOL!! I know.
I can tell you, when I am in surgery, it is the most peaceful time for me. I love to be in the operating room. During the 40 or 50 minutes while I am doing the joint replacement, there is complete silence, very calm environment. It is therapy for me!
Well, I definitely cannot give up my day job, otherwise, there will be no fun with airplanes.
Trade ya a knee for an airplane.lol

Hi @orthobird, firstly - loving this build log - thanks for sharing!

I swapped emails with Tony over last few days and he told me the 300SP kits will be ready to ship in about 4 weeks. I am sold on getting one shipped to UK, so need to prepare my workshop..

I don't have the luxury of a massive shop so am wondering what is the minimum sized of flat surface you think I will need to build to put this model together please? Also, how much space is needed at edge of work surface for motor box overhang?

Cheers

Hello Scrufmeister, I believe you will thoroughly enjoy building this one.
Here are your measurements:

this is the motorbox for a quad, which is shorter, but if you are going with the quad motor, and the shorter length motor-box, the overhang will be about 7 inches or 17.78 cm, however, I believe you also use inches?
IMG_0397.JPG

For the length of a table, if the tail will be on the table, then the length required will be:

IMG_0398.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

70 inches +

IMG_0400.JPG

14 inches

which would be a sum of 84 inches, or 213.36 cm

hope this helps and thank you for your compliments.

Best regards

Cam

Got to drill the bottom of the gear plate, and I used my 300 SP template, to drill the holes. I will use this same template on the CF LG, when the time comes.

IMG_0401.JPG
IMG_0402.JPG
IMG_0403.JPG
IMG_0404.JPG
IMG_0405.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG

...which would be a sum of 84 inches, or 213.36 cm

@orthobird/Cam - thanks, that was super quick and exactly what I needed. I have a surface that is 204cm/80" so just a tiny bit short. I'm hoping that because your ruler is at an angle along fuselage and not directly square with your table that maybe it will actually fit? Failing that, would you say there is any point in the build where is is essential that the whole thing is on the table, or could I get away with a 4" overhang?

I've been meaning to look through the other build threads to see what's the best way to do the landing gear. I'll probably start by making a plywood plate so if I use the included gear or go with something else I just need to mark it.

@orthobird/Cam - thanks, that was super quick and exactly what I needed. I have a surface that is 204cm/80" so just a tiny bit short. I'm hoping that because your ruler is at an angle along fuselage and not directly square with your table that maybe it will actually fit? Failing that, would you say there is any point in the build where is is essential that the whole thing is on the table, or could I get away with a 4" overhang?

you could probably get away with that in the nose, not the tail. but ideally, you would want to be able to weigh it all down on a flat smooth table, and more so, when you sheet the fuselage sides. That is the step that "locks" it in straight. that step has to be done, with fuselage inverted, and weights pushing it down throughout, as the sides cure.

right now, there is a good amount of "flex" of that skeleton frame i have. But once the sides are on, it will be solid.