• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC The new Dalton 300 SP / 330

Wanted to demonstrate the nice fit between the wing and the fuselage, this is with root cap on 1st, then sheeted.

IMG_1150.JPG
IMG_1151.JPG

Here is the analysis, this glue rocks!!

It dries clear and sands easily.

Problem with Titebond, is, once it dries, and you sand it down, small pieces of the glue, if it comes off, will then act as a third body particle, that will "scratch" the balsa.

IMG_1152.JPG
IMG_1153.JPG

I just weighed the left wing. It too, weighs 2 pounds and 6 ounces. Just like the right wing. Very interesting. Looks like the total weight will be around 3.5 pounds, when it is covered, and with the horns and the servos, etc... Oh well!!

Making the leading edge for the wings. These are 4" wide balsa, that is 1/2" thick.
I make a scarf joint at 45 degrees, and I am using the Gorilla Wood Glue, wow, so far, it dries clear, and will sand it once cured, and report back on that. My 1st time using the Gorilla Glue Wood bottle.

Also, I just turned the heater on, to raise temp to 85 degrees in the shop. It was about 68 degrees or so, and this is delaying the cure of the ACP epoxy resin. Which I WILL NOT use again! takes too long to cure.

Going to purchase some WEST Epoxy Resin.

tomorrow, I will sand the LE and TE, and then use the wood Gorilla Glue to glue on the LE and TE, and then put both wings back in the bag! Should be cool!

View attachment 54544 View attachment 54545

Nice job Cam;

ACP makes two different Hardeners one has a 30 minute set time and the other has a 60 minute set time. You are correct , if you use the 60 minute
hardener you need to keep it in the vacuum bag for at least 24 hours . I found this out the hard way like you have .
Keep up the good work !! And have fun.

Van

I just weighed the left wing. It too, weighs 2 pounds and 6 ounces. Just like the right wing. Very interesting. Looks like the total weight will be around 3.5 pounds, when it is covered, and with the horns and the servos, etc... Oh well!!

Cam,
After our call the other night, I weighed Ron's and mine two sets of completed covered, hinged 300SP wings, minus servos, that finished using top and bottom 1/4 x 1/4 x 48" carbon fiber spars that we West Epoxied in and used 2 fl. oz. of polyurethane for the sheeting and about an oz. for the tube. All four wings were between 3 lbs. 1/2 oz. and 3 lbs. 1 oz.
Tom