• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Been putting together a Funtana 90S for a buddy in between working on the DHC-2. Coming out super tail heavy. So I added .4lbs to the nose.... eeeekkk!!!

Not only that but the covering was old,peeling off, Hangar rash like a cat got it, cracked canopy... missing parts!!! Lions tigers a bears oh my!!!

Getting close!

F56FF04F-DB2A-4446-86F0-C2E6A59236F2.jpeg

Also for the canopy cracks I used formula 560.... but then I thought hmmmm what about UV glue to fill in the gaps... So I tried it. Seems tuff and is holding!!

4A1FD9FB-1398-487A-B04A-3A1148E26265.jpeg

Wild man

70cc twin V2
Been putting together a Funtana 90S for a buddy in between working on the DHC-2. Coming out super tail heavy. So I added .4lbs to the nose.... eeeekkk!!!

AKNick that plane brings back memories I had one years ago. I powered it with an OS AX120 glow engine the prop I used for 3D was an APC 16.5 / 5 Wide here is a short vid on how easy the OS engines will start. The only thing I did not lke about it was how it took off. it liked to jump into the air even with the slightest up elevator

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp

nice! I used to have an OS 1.20AX as well. Think I used a 16x8 and a 17x4W, it would rip with the 16x8 APC, Good IMAC prop for the Seagull Edge 540 it was on. 17x4W was nice for the high alpha stuff. Plane flew strait, but was a complete mislead on how an edge 540 should fly. Thick airfoil tapered drastically from the root to the tip. So it snapped like crazy and had a fairly violent tip stall. A club member owns it now. He loves it. It's survived a tree landing too. ha ha ha. Man you're brave with that compression start!

Little tip when quoting a post to type outside of the /qoute] so it doesn't get lost in the quote preview and thus wont look like an empty post. Took me a bit to figure that out. :)

Wild man

70cc twin V2
I have started all my glow engines that way for over 40 years, and never once have I cut or even nicked myself. Much easier than with a started. The only engines I used a starter on were my Pylon racing engines. I have seen more accidents watching people who think they know everything, put the starting cone on the engine off center, have the starter lunge forward and cut there fingers. I have also seen people with there CHICKEN STICKS get stuck with there broken CHICKEN sticks. I would not call it being BRAVE at all, I call it being a Professional at starting glow engines, plain and simple. One more thing, if you noticed I never stand directly in front of the engine when starting. what can I say I just have the touch. LOL

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
8E0DD990-5CCF-483A-9A52-F44D94286031.jpeg
The wings have been repaired just need final sanding and cleaned up then the two wings will be ready for covering. Had to buy 6 six rolls of covering just to cover the two wings they are huge at 3100 square inches.
All AutoCAD work is done to blend the new and old wing together and designed a new centre section to pick up the four hold down bolts. Changing a plane from 1 1/2 tube to a 2 inch tube really causes some difficulties and also moved CG back 20 mm on the new setup hopefully to change the tail heavy situation. Time will tell if I can move all the batteries back of the firewall a bit.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Got the rest of the upper cabinets up in my shop today. Now time to load them up and get ready to move the lowers in and set it up as a miter saw station. View attachment 114525

Looking good. Nice to see that velox front and center. :) I've been putting in some serious foamy time lately. Some new neighbor kids are my audience. They'll put their heads on the fence and watch me fly around. Pretty fun to see them awe inspired.

BalsaDust

Looking good. Nice to see that velox front and center. :) I've been putting in some serious foamy time lately. Some new neighbor kids are my audience. They'll put their heads on the fence and watch me fly around. Pretty fun to see them awe inspired.

Honestly I have barely ever flown the plane. It was giving to me by a flying buddy when he moved from VA to Alaska but it needs new wing servos. He had cartwheeled it and stripped the gears in on aileron servo. I pulled them and put just some regular 9 grams in it as I had some on hand but they aren't strong enough to really throw the plane around.