• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

WMcNabb

150cc
Tough one all right. Make it into an exercise in experimenting and learning?
Strip it, lighten it, design a new scheme for it, recover it with Stits, try your hand at making a new cowl, then add the new engine?
Or give it away, and help your fellow club member get into gas, if he’s serious about that?

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Tough one all right. Make it into an exercise in experimenting and learning?
Strip it, lighten it, design a new scheme for it, recover it with Stits, try your hand at making a new cowl, then add the new engine?
Or give it away, and help your fellow club member get into gas, if he’s serious about that?

He gets excited when I bring it up. He'd be over the moon if I gave it to him. Would love to make his day - might end up going that route and tell him to buy a Tech-Aero and a Receiver when you get the funds. PNP! Go blow your socks off and taste some real 3D. :D

Wild man

70cc twin V2
AKNick. I ques I am to much of a softy. Usually on a plane like that I just give them away. The last one I gave away after flying the crap out of was an Aero-Works 100 cc Yak 54, Less receiver and engine I had two of the old Aero-Works Yak 54's one with DA 85 and the other I still have is the RED White Black& Silver V2 now with an EME 120 in it, There are a few guys that would love to have it but I still like to fly it off and on

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Hmmm, I'm in a pickle. I've been trying to sell my Extreme Flight 74" Edge 540 V1 to a club member cheap for about a year now. he says he really wants it, but cannot cough up $350 for the plane without the smoke pump, and receiver. It has a worn out DLE35RA and some well used Hitec 7955TG's in it. Probably $1.4k invested. I really want to get him into gas more, and this would be a great airframe for it. I want him to have it while throwing me a bone to chew on of some sort. Should i remove my tech aero and give it to him or should I keep it, buy a new cowl and a GP38. Plane flies good, just heavy as it is. I'd like to thin the heard and get a 50-70cc laser but boy it's hard to do when i cant find a buyer for my used stuff due to my location. $300 is what i'd get for parting out and selling some stuff. Personal problems I know!

I feel your pain. I have a few old planes I never fly and I can not decide what to do with them. I might end up parting out the smaller stuff on ebay or forums. Then donate the air frames to local fly-ins for raffle items or something. Then again, I do enjoy a good bonfire. :D

Too much work trying to ship large airframes.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I do not sell anything anymore if I can help it especially to friends and or club members, it will come back to haunt you, even if it is perfect when sold a year later it does not work he will start looking at you just not worth the hassle. And on top of that they want it for nothing.
What I have done with the last plane is striped anything and everything I can use of it at a later date and gave the plane away.

Last edited:

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks for the input fellas. You guys are on par with my feelings about the scenario and it makes me feel better about letting it go to a guy I fly with and want to spread the love.

I do this a lot. People come to get parts, and stuff from me and I don't ask for anything in return - getting started in the hobby I had a couple guys that did this for me and I'll never forget it... This is my way of passing that torch of generosity and helpfulness to fellow modelers.

It's tricky not having the resources like a lot of you do, but I am thankful to be blessed with quite a few model airplanes and gear that seem to be breeding like rabbits.... like a lot of rabbits. Slightly embarrassing actually :happy: I need a "frozen" gif "let it go! Let it GOOOOO!"

upload_2020-7-9_14-2-40.jpeg

BalsaDust

Thanks for the input fellas. You guys are on par with my feelings about the scenario and it makes me feel better about letting it go to a guy I fly with and want to spread the love.

I do this a lot. People come to get parts, and stuff from me and I don't ask for anything in return - getting started in the hobby I had a couple guys that did this for me and I'll never forget it... This is my way of passing that torch of generosity and helpfulness to fellow modelers.

It's tricky not having the resources like a lot of you do, but I am thankful to be blessed with quite a few model airplanes and gear that seem to be breeding like rabbits.... like a lot of rabbits. Slightly embarrassing actually :happy: I need a "frozen" gif "let it go! Let it GOOOOO!"

View attachment 115317

Just wait until your kid is a touch older then that song will never leave your head. Both that one and "Into the Unknown" from Frozen 2