• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

WMcNabb

150cc
I miss our old 2008 1 ton crew cab long box turbo diesel dually.
Our 2015 1/2 ton double cab standard box is a nice truck, but I guess we thought our hauling days were behind us.
This thing just squats with a few hundred pounds in the bed, when the old one didn’t flinch.

And yes, a week or 2 to turn around was about right! LOL!

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Floats... what should I do fellas?

I want to keep a scale outline... scale is not nice to our little float planes.

Mark at seaplane supply said he can make me some foam cores however I please, but short bows (may) make float planes nose over. Hmmmmm

my extreme flight beaver, has a shorter distance from the bows to the skeg than the skeg to the stern.

scale seems to be about 50/50

Seaplane Supply has longer bows than the step to the stern.

Seaplane Supply says floats should be 75% the fuse length From the prop to the rudder hinge
(53”X0.75=39.75)but with the bows being so much longer the float tips would go a few inches past the prop. Looks ridiculous.

SO.... do I get some custom made floats to keep a closer to scale outline while slightly bigger.... or just make the larger recommended floats...

Sometime I just need to type it out and see what y’all think too.

I’m even considering making two... one semi-scale, and one more float worthy.

picture is 38” floats. Wondering if having Mark make the 38” float and whacking 3.5” off the bow would be too silly or not. This means the floats would be proportional at 50/50 yet oversized from scale a tiny bit.
6FADA0F9-CF51-4D25-AECC-A235D77F4142.jpeg

Maybe it’s 12:30am and I’m overthinking it....

Last edited:

WMcNabb

150cc
Floats... what should I do fellas?

I want to keep a scale outline... scale is not nice to our little float planes.

Mark at seaplane supply said he can make me some foam cores however I please, but short bows (may) make float planes nose over. Hmmmmm

my extreme flight beaver, has a shorter distance from the bows to the skeg than the skeg to the stern.

scale seems to be about 50/50

Seaplane Supply has longer bows than the step to the stern.

Seaplane Supply says floats should be 75% the fuse length From the prop to the rudder hinge
(53”X0.75=39.75)but with the bows being so much longer the float tips would go a few inches past the prop. Looks ridiculous.

SO.... do I get some custom made floats to keep a closer to scale outline while slightly bigger.... or just make the larger recommended floats...

Sometime I just need to type it out and see what y’all think too.

I’m even considering making two... one semi-scale, and one more float worthy.

picture is 38” floats. Wondering if having Mark make the 38” float and whacking 3.5” off the bow would be too silly or not. This means the floats would be proportional at 50/50 yet oversized from scale a tiny bit.
View attachment 115581

Maybe it’s 12:30am and I’m overthinking it....

Wish I could help, but never had an RC float plane.
I do want to explore this phase of modeling, so I’m watching with curiosity and hoping to learn!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well spent a little time ,planning the GP38 firewall setup. This is to install the GP38 into a Funtana 125, should prove interesting. Need to make quite a few changes to the firewall needs to be cut back 30mm so that the GP38 can be installed.
Just going work on it depending on the weather.
EB2F82CF-0A81-4616-8EC3-4770D69AFCDB.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
it’s super fun! Opens up a whole new world of aero modeling!
What info are looking for I know I have some very old articles on how to size a float and set up of the step and location. Is that what you want. Not promising anything but if that is what you are looking for let me know and I will see if I can find it.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
What info are looking for I know I have some very old articles on how to size a float and set up of the step and location. Is that what you want. Not promising anything but if that is what you are looking for let me know and I will see if I can find it.

Info is coming from the guy that designs the floats so I trust his experience with the rc float sizing.

I suppose I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth it to attempt more scale Floats that sit behind the prop.

maybe I can make a separate set just for hanging. If the plane flies bad, it’s going to be hung in town somewhere. Maybe the airport, Ward Air, a Restaurant....

Kinda leaning towards the route of two floats.