• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Be careful with exact size needed. For example the Balsa USA Cub is significantly narrower than the Nelitz plan Cub.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Spent Saturday morning at my shop cleaning and organizing. I'm converting one of my old band saws to a small bench saw. A trial fit then I will weld some steel pipe for legs.

rps20240804_200322_387.jpg

BalsaDust

Spent Saturday morning at my shop cleaning and organizing. I'm converting one of my old band saws to a small bench saw. A trial fit then I will weld some steel pipe for legs.

View attachment 122780
I've thought about getting one of the cheap harbor frieght porta-bands to make a bench top metal saw out of. Maybe it's the tradesman coming out in me but I'm a fan of the tri-vise as a stand.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
That tri stand is just holding the mockup. Milwaukee makes the best porta band hands down. Ridgid only for my plumbing tools, Bosch and Hilti for drilling and breaking, my battery powered tools are Dewalt, etc, etc but Milwaukee has always made the best band saw.

BalsaDust

That tri stand is just holding the mockup. Milwaukee makes the best porta band hands down. Ridgid only for my plumbing tools, Bosch and Hilti for drilling and breaking, my battery powered tools are Dewalt, etc, etc but Milwaukee has always made the best band saw.
Oh no doubt Milwaukee makes the best porta band ever. We had a dozen of them at my last job. Where I'm at now we have a couple including my favorite for little small jobs is the M12 cordless version. Rigid is what we have always used for any pipe threading needed. Never had much experience with Bosch or Hilti though I know they make great products. We have had great luck with both Milwaukee and Dewalt when it comes to SDS drills though I think Milwaukees is slightly better. Cordless I have always been a dewalt guy but the new Milwaukee stuff has really impressed me. Coworkers years ago love the Milwaukee cordless stuff but they got a very short life out of the batteries. Now that Lithium batteries are here that has changed.

BalsaDust

In the early battery days Milwaukee was terrible. Lithium changed the game.
Yes I had a coworker with full Milwaukee setup when I lived in Williamsburg 15ish years ago. The tools where amazing but he had to have twice as many batteries to make it through the day than I did with my Dewalt 18V stuff.