• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
What engine? Look like an OS 61SF.
Yes you are correct. That is what I had laying around a little under sized but just want to fly the plane see how it handles the grass field and how does it land. If this turns out good I will be looking at something with a lot more Power.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Let me know, I have 60/61 sized engines by the dozens. Jett, YS, Novarossi, OS, OPS. Short stroke, long stroke, ducted fan. That SF is a pattern type engine and tops out at 12K (?) rpm. Something in the 18K rpm is better suited for that speed demon.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Let me know, I have 60/61 sized engines by the dozens. Jett, YS, Novarossi, OS, OPS. Short stroke, long stroke, ducted fan. That SF is a pattern type engine and tops out at 12K (?) rpm. Something in the 18K rpm is better suited for that speed demon.

Thanks for the offer to help appreciate that because I am dabbling in an area I know very little about. Joined a club that does a lot of this high speed stuff and kind of got interested. My only problem is the really small planes they fly are difficult to keep up with and see. So I build an exact copy of one of them except 2 twice the size. Now I am trying to fly one and power it correctly.
Again you are correct the engine I have on it is a pattern plane engine. And as you have said it needs to be in the range of 18k to get the speed. I think I need a Jett in 70 to 90 size but not sure. No info on the size of plane I build. But having fun and. Not giving up.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Going to try to bolt/weld a wench to my mini excavator so as to back it down a steep hill. I started with drilling out a piece of steel plate to bolt to a new 12,000 wench.

I might weld the plate to the excavator push blade and cut it off later.

IMG_0131.jpeg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Cut my Joe Nall box(es) so they can fit under the house for… winter. My wing box was too tall anyways, so that one was shortened. The fuselage box I just made a splice in the middle. Termination dust on the mountains so I know it’s time to make room in the shop for other wintery things. Also my sister has a smart car (for two) that needs a fuel pump so I need to clear up some space for that project. Was supposed to get a lot more done but my wife’s car has a brake that ls been acting up… again. So I lost a couple hours of kid free time for that.

IMG_6569.jpeg

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I've got the box, I'd love to go again if I can swing it. It was a lot of fun and work to get there and back by myself. I still feel guilty having people donate gasoline, but people were kind enough to share. Part of me thinks it would be easier to bring an electric plane, or to pre-order one for Nall. I was surprised to talk to some folks about "Full Throttle RC" who put planes together for people and deliver them for not much more than the full cost of doing it yourself. I guess they were able to get manufacture discounts to make it all happen for them which is cool. I enjoy building them, but considering the feat of getting a plane there and back with hazmat and such it makes a muse point.

I did manage to fit my box halves under the house today! My little splice job made a nice snug fit.