• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Well seeing as how @stangflyer wasn't here to stop me, did some more baffling on the Extra. Strange things happen when you find 1/32 ply laying around. I got one side done and will make something similar for the other side when I get back to the garage again.

View attachment 52401 View attachment 52402 View attachment 52403 View attachment 52404 View attachment 52405 View attachment 52406 View attachment 52407
I wouldn't think of stopping you Mark. You need to get that plane back in the air. Hopefully your weather is better than ours. According to forcasts....we won't get a break until next Friday and Saturday.
impatient-smiley-emoticon.gif

thurmma

150cc
We will get a beeak starting Monday but, it will take a few days for the field to dry out. That is ok because the engine won't be here until Tuesday and hopefully the new DS-14 will be here by Wednesday. The rx's and Central Box 200 will be here by Wednesday :) Then it will be a matter of learning a new tx and getting the plane back in the air.

thurmma

150cc
Ok. Just downloaded the data from my Eagletree recorder and for those who are still in doubt that baffling helps and that good baffling helps even more, Details don't lie :) I only finished one side of the baffling last night because I didn't know the engine was going to show up today, 3 days early :) So, I put the engine on the plane and fired it up tonight to see how it was going to run and it ran great! When I pulled the data from the recorder I was amazed at the difference in temperatures between the two cylinders. I am going to finish the baffling before I run it again and I figure that the temps should be very close to dead even. Temp B in the graph is the right cylinder from this perspective, Temp A is the left. The temps went up at the end because I ran it up hard and then chopped the throttle and killed the ignition. It took about 30 seconds or so for me to get around to turning off the receivers. You can see how fast the temps rise once the engine is shut off. The interesting part is that the well baffled side stayed cooler during this time period then the partially baffled side. I figured it would have been the opposite.

Baffling.jpg

176BafflingComparison.png

thurmma

150cc
20160313_001540-1.jpg
20160313_001626-1.jpg
20160313_000618-1.jpg
20160313_000625-1.jpg

Looking for some help reading these plugs. My thoughts are a touch lean. This was from a full throttle runup and ignition kill. The lighter one is from the cooler side of the engine, see previous post on baffling :) I am running 40:1 Redline with 91 octane ethonal free gas.

Last edited:

BalsaDust

image.jpeg

So I was starting to get things ready last night to go to the field. Was looking forward to taking the super sportster as a buddy was bringing s radar gun to see how quick it is. Last time I flew it it kicked the prop. I just figured no big deal just put it back on right. Nope went to put it back on last night and something just didn't feel right. Busted connecting rod. Not sure how it happened as the motor was running good and if anything was a touch on the rich side as it was leaving a nice smoke trail. Oh well will see if I can get parts for it and go from there.