• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
I picked up a used 35% H9 Extra 260 with a DA 100 (older model engine). Plane, engine, and servos are immaculate - not even any oil stains on the cans or cowl. When I saw it I could not believe it was in that good of condition. Not even a blemish on the cover anywhere, except maybe a few tiny planes at the ends of the stripes. They had taken great care of it.

The H9 260 was discontinued by H9 some years ago but was one of the best flyers Mike Maconville had designed. This one is pristine and has the V2 wings. I shall have some fun with it!

Took everything out of my trailer and got everything re-situated to make room for the 260 :D

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Depends on what your looking for. Do you want something that is slow stable and floaty or to you want something that will carry energy nicely but still remain stable in a stalled attitude?
What I am looking for is something that will carry energy nicely but still remain stable in a stalled attitude. Thanks for replying and your help.

BalsaDust

image.jpeg

@Snoopy1 i would recommend an airfoil similar to what a buddy and I used on this edge. It is a naca 0018 at the root rib transitioning to a naca 0015 at the tip. Shoot for around 850-900 square inches of wing area and you should be good to go. Build it light and try to cut weight in the rest of the plane.
Also one thing you could try is building some SFG's for your current wings. I have heard the redwing rc 20cc profile flys really nice but isn't very stable in a stalled flight without them on it.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
View attachment 81782

@Snoopy1 i would recommend an airfoil similar to what a buddy and I used on this edge. It is a naca 0018 at the root rib transitioning to a naca 0015 at the tip. Shoot for around 850-900 square inches of wing area and you should be good to go. Build it light and try to cut weight in the rest of the plane.
Also one thing you could try is building some SFG's for your current wings. I have heard the redwing rc 20cc profile flys really nice but isn't very stable in a stalled flight without them on it.
Great thanks will do that. What wing loading do you strive for or cubic loading. Thanks again. By the way the plane does have SFG's on it.

BalsaDust

Great thanks will do that. What wing loading do you strive for or cubic loading. Thanks again. By the way the plane does have SFG's on it.
image.png

These are the specs on my smaller version of the pic I posted earlier. It's cubic loading is just shy of 6 cu in. The bigger purple one I posted the pic of is around 6-1/4. Typical slab say mojos, primos and such are in the mid to low 4's for cubic loading and your typical 3D fattie is more around the 8-9 range so we shot to split the difference as we didn't want it to be floaty

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I usually used a wire brush that goes in a drill that has all the bristles sticking straight out in line with the shaft. But even though I looked for about an hour I couldn't find it, so took CA and I glued a piece of red Scotchbrite to a Dremal grinding stone with a flat front and put that in my drill press. It worked great.

Hey Doug,

Did you bolt your Miracle gas pump to the plate or are you just using the magnet to hold it on?

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Hey Doug,

Did you bolt your Miracle gas pump to the plate or are you just using the magnet to hold it on?
I figured out not long after I got the pump out of the box that the magnet was a joke. It has no holding power at all. The lip at the top hooks over the plate and I used a wire tie to hold the bottom and to keep it from sliding up and coming off the lip.

The pump survived it's first day out just fine. I'm running it on a 2500mah 9.6 Nimh. I think it's a little slower than my friends Jersey Fueler, but since I'm only flying 50 and 60cc airplanes the biggest tank I have is 24 ounces. It sure beats cranking!

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I figured out not long after I got the pump out of the box that the magnet was a joke. It has no holding power at all. The lip at the top hooks over the plate and I used a wire tie to hold the bottom and to keep it from sliding up and coming off the lip.

The pump survived it's first day out just fine. I'm running it on a 2500mah 9.6 Nimh. I think it's a little slower than my friends Jersey Fueler, but since I'm only flying 50 and 60cc airplanes the biggest tank I have is 24 ounces. It sure beats cranking!
I meant to post this picture too.
20160527_230203_resized-1.jpg

camss69

70cc twin V2
I picked up a used 35% H9 Extra 260 with a DA 100 (older model engine). Plane, engine, and servos are immaculate - not even any oil stains on the cans or cowl. When I saw it I could not believe it was in that good of condition. Not even a blemish on the cover anywhere, except maybe a few tiny planes at the ends of the stripes. They had taken great care of it.

The H9 260 was discontinued by H9 some years ago but was one of the best flyers Mike Maconville had designed. This one is pristine and has the V2 wings. I shall have some fun with it!

Took everything out of my trailer and got everything re-situated to make room for the 260 :D

Nice find! One of my all time favorites, shoulda never sold mine!