• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks for the reply, Jetpanter but when I just got started in the hobby went to a fun fly 4 hours away. Got caught in a ran storm at the field. By the time I got the plane in the truck and home even though I wrapped it as good as I could the plane was soaked and all the balsa wood warped and could see all the glue lines of the sheeting under the painted cloth, not a good experience. Since then been very hesitant to take a plane anywhere in an open vehicle.
I hear ya there as seen in the above post in picture #3.:( I waited about 40 minutes under the canopy of a BP station waiting for it to quit. I was about half way to the field and it never rained there or at my house, go figure. There was no rain in the forecast so I had lots of company waiting it out. 2 dune buggies and about a dozen bikers.;)

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Here is the skinny on 2S and Savox servos. I hooked them up to my 9 channel JETI rx and hooked up a 2S 4000mah lipo. I then set the servo test to on and let it cycle the servos for about 5 minutes with no load. After that 5 minutes I felt the servos and they were getting warmer than I thought they should be, not hot but, just didn't give me a warm fuzzy. I will repeat the test with the regulators and the CB200 and see if they get to the same temps.

The thing I worry about is when there is a load I think the temps are going to get quite a bit warmer and I just don't feel like taking a chance right now, not to mention that they will be going in a 40% Extra 330LX and I don't want to take a chance on losing it to a preventable cause.

Have you done the same test with the servos you are presently flying.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I hear ya there as seen in the above post in picture #3.:( I waited about 40 minutes under the canopy of a BP station waiting for it to quit. I was about half way to the field and it never rained there or at my house, go figure. There was no rain in the forecast so I had lots of company waiting it out. 2 dune buggies and about a dozen bikers.;)

Think I need to find something enclosed. Not a trailer fan and the area I live in does not allow trailers to be left on the driveway to long. So keep looking really do not want another van they are just ugly, but so dam practical.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Have a question for you guys about a warped canopy, is there any way to un-warp one? The rear of the canopy on the prototype Aerobeez Extra 300 is listing off of the fuselage canopy deck about 1/2" and doesn't seat flush on the turtle deck anymore. Since this is the protoype there isn't a replacement canopy available, I need to figure out how to fix this one.

Is it the wooden frame or the plastic canopy? If its the wood frame, its an easier fix than the canopy, itself. Wet the wooden frame, bolt it to the airplane, and let the wood dry. It "should" remove the warp.

thurmma

150cc
Have you done the same test with the servos you are presently flying.
I am currently running the 1283's in my other 330LX with regulators. I am going to do the same test with the regulators on these servos, just haven't had the time to yet.

Alky6

150cc
Finally got the hobby room mostly organized and cleaned up. Added a shelf to the build table too. I am ready to start the MOJO 65 build.

IMG_3465.JPG

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well guys do not know what is happening to me but ever since the weather has turned and it is wet and cold I have started to rebuild my Decathlon right now stuck waiting for parts. started to to rebuild my 50cc pattern plane that was built in 2002 and never flowen, do not know why but I think just put to much into the plane. It is now also being rebuilt new 2.4 and all the servos, new batteries and an IBec. Should prove to be and interesting season 2017.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Is it the wooden frame or the plastic canopy? If its the wood frame, its an easier fix than the canopy, itself. Wet the wooden frame, bolt it to the airplane, and let the wood dry. It "should" remove the warp.

It's the plastic itself, I can push the whole canopy down and get it to bolt to the frame flush but I have a bad feeling that I'll start to wear things out in short order if I continue to do that.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
It's the plastic itself, I can push the whole canopy down and get it to bolt to the frame flush but I have a bad feeling that I'll start to wear things out in short order if I continue to do that.

Glad you stated it is the conopy. Please note I am no expert, but if i had to fix this I would do the following. Build a frame that twists the canopy back to where you need it plus another 1/4 inch. Bolt the canopy to the frame, leave in the sun and if you can get in a oven big enough heat till it gets to the shape you need. I did this once to get one fixed but had to build a box and two heat guns and kept heating till I got what I needed, hope this helps.