• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Good to see you back and building again. I thought you did not electrical drive systems and you sold most of it. Anyway have a question I see you a QQ-Aurora in the plane. Would you be so kind to elaborate on how it works with a single JR satellite receiver. Thanks

With the SRXL serial bus DSMX remotes plug in to the "A" serial port of the Aura 8. There are two of these ports marked A and B. You would plug a bind plug in to servo port S8 of the Aura 8 for the binding process. The remote supports up to 8 channels with intermediate range capability which is great for "Park Flyer" size air craft. If you want to use an "extended range" remote receiver then a second remote can be used by plugging it in to port B or use the DSMX "Quad Racer" version (same price as DSMX remotes) remote receiver which is designed to work with all the flight control boards such as Aura 8, NAZE 32, KK2.5, Open Pilot's ccdpm system etc... Note: Flex innovations has not yet made a quad program and the Aura 8 is specific to fixed wing aircraft.

dsmx_quad_race_receiver_with_diversity-lead.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Got the fuse glued together last night but this afternoon was disappointing when I removed the blue painters masking tape :concern:. It pulled up some of the black paint (easy fix) but also pulled the protective sheath that skins the EPP foam :frown:. If I knew this was going to happen I would have wrapped it with medical ace wrap wile the glue dried:face-palm:.
Any suggestions on how a repair might be done?
0503171317-00.jpg
0503171314-01.jpg
0503171314-00.jpg

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Got the fuse glued together last night but this afternoon was disappointing when I removed the blue painters masking tape :concern:. It pulled up some of the black paint (easy fix) but also pulled the protective sheath that skins the EPP foam :frown:. If I knew this was going to happen I would have wrapped it with medical ace wrap wile the glue dried:face-palm:.
Any suggestions on how a repair might be done?
View attachment 95496 View attachment 95497 View attachment 95498

Brush on a cote or two of this and she'll be just like new.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/cars-a...ives/eze-kote-finishing-resin--500-ml-dlmbd37

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
You've only removed the smooth surface of the Elapor, cosmetically it's ugly but as far as structurality it does nothing.

You want to use a very very low-tac masking tape for masking stuff.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
You've only removed the smooth surface of the Elapor, cosmetically it's ugly but as far as structurality it does nothing.

You want to use a very very low-tac masking tape for masking stuff.
Yup. I usually take the blue tape and stick it to my shirt a couple times before I stick it to the foam. That seems to work well.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Thank You Thank You Thank You MIKE :congrats:.
No problem. I've been using that stuff on my Robinhood build. You can use it with fiberglass cloth instead of epoxy finishing resin. It's much easier to use. Also use it for fuel-proofing firewalls. And I've heard it works well on Dollar Tree foam board. Like the Flite Test planes. Adds a little strength and waterproofs the paper.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Just got to finish up the wings and stabs/ctrl surf's....Ordered the EZ-Coat to fix my boo boo....Played with it to see again that the power and prop size are going to be perfect for 3D:). Wings not on but a size comparison with the QQ300 (42"vs 48"). I think this is going to be a FUN plane :).
0503171803-00.jpg
0503171807-00.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
With the SRXL serial bus DSMX remotes plug in to the "A" serial port of the Aura 8. There are two of these ports marked A and B. You would plug a bind plug in to servo port S8 of the Aura 8 for the binding process. The remote supports up to 8 channels with intermediate range capability which is great for "Park Flyer" size air craft. If you want to use an "extended range" remote receiver then a second remote can be used by plugging it in to port B or use the DSMX "Quad Racer" version (same price as DSMX remotes) remote receiver which is designed to work with all the flight control boards such as Aura 8, NAZE 32, KK2.5, Open Pilot's ccdpm system etc... Note: Flex innovations has not yet made a quad program and the Aura 8 is specific to fixed wing aircraft.

View attachment 95479
Thanks for the reply and the info.