• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

BalsaDust

Very nice work bench, that will last you a life time. One question did you have a plainer big enough to run it through.

I plan on doing a work bench like that at some point. My planer can run up to 12" wide pieces so I will have to glue up my sections in 12" wide. Once they are all planed it will be one last glue up to glue them together.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
About 5 year back I built a new workshop with about 60 ft of workbench, 3 benches. It was all built out of 2 by 4 cherry. It took some boing. But glad it is bone and really enjoying it. An old friend of mine has a saw mill and just had to much of it and just bib not have enough space to store it so guess what I bought more than enough to do it and then some. But the biggest problem was when it was all planed and glued and bolted together to get the top and bottom planed was a problem. We eventually found somebody who could do it.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Very nice work bench, that will last you a life time. One question did you have a plainer big enough to run it through.

47620eed5ed5f212993718040e9e797e.jpg
fa1bc8f61f559b9b3e7c46873da9c1de.jpg
babc65096188022df2443ced36eb2011.jpg
42c50b03263d6251c06b7ab724731480.jpg

Borrowed a power plane. It helped true up the boards. Probably took a 1/4" off. Then I glued three boards together at a time, used a couple different hand planes to make it really strait, then finished it up with a orbital sander.
It was a ton of work. I tell people to just get some MDF, ply and some wood to make a bench. So much less work and much more effective. 2x4's are pretty soft anyways.
It was a fun project for me and I learned a lot about woodworking. So it was a win win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
47620eed5ed5f212993718040e9e797e.jpg
fa1bc8f61f559b9b3e7c46873da9c1de.jpg
babc65096188022df2443ced36eb2011.jpg
42c50b03263d6251c06b7ab724731480.jpg

Borrowed a power plane. It helped true up the boards. Probably took a 1/4" off. Then I glued three boards together at a time, used a couple different hand planes to make it really strait, then finished it up with a orbital sander.
It was a ton of work. I tell people to just get some MDF, ply and some wood to make a bench. So much less work and much more effective. 2x4's are pretty soft anyways.
It was a fun project for me and I learned a lot about woodworking. So it was a win win.

That the reason why I asked because it was reasonably easy to build but getting flat and true was another thing. Started buy hand and all sorts of small hand machines but when I put a straight edge on it was useless. That is why I found a person that could edge it and plane it flat and square. Now it is ok and still is flat. Will not do it again.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
That the reason why I asked because it was reasonably easy to build but getting flat and true was another thing. Started buy hand and all sorts of small hand machines but when I put a straight edge on it was useless. That is why I found a person that could edge it and plane it flat and square. Now it is ok and still is flat. Will not do it again.

Exactly!! Even glued and screwed together, Wood likes to warp, settle, and getting the right grain wood for the job was hard enough let alone ideal. That’s why I say just make a frame, put some thick plywood followed by some thick MDF board, and you could put a really nice trim hard wood along the edge. It’s quicker, more true, cheaper, easier to swap out the top MDF board if it gets too chopped up over the years.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Do not know if this is the Correct place to ask but if not let me know. This is about CG. How does CG effect doing a knife edge. I do understand how CG effects lateral balance and how it can effect how your elevator. But when you change the CG how does it effect knife edge. Thanks for your help.