• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Windex (ammonia) does not activate Ultracote. Xylene does, however, I have not used this type of method with Ultracote. Instead, I use @BalsaDust ’s glass method and layout the ultracote on the glass and heat them together. Peel off glass, then apply to airframe.

I agree windex does not work on Ultracote. Even if Xylene does work please do not use it is really bad stuff it will kill you quick.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
Windex (ammonia) does not activate Ultracote. Xylene does, however, I have not used this type of method with Ultracote. Instead, I use @BalsaDust ’s glass method and layout the ultracote on the glass and heat them together. Peel off glass, then apply to airframe.
The glass method is something I really want to try at some point.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
97EDAB26-3C86-453D-A0D8-8E07186A8FA2.jpeg
Ok continuation on the Factor 30cc rebuilding . The rudder and the stabilizer are reinstalled and covered but not the all the checkers, ran out of white and purple Monocote so I will most likely leave that for the owner to finish off. It is starting to look like a plane. Will start the motor install and then the radio.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
Since I’m not I far from you maybe when you want to try it either I can swing up to your shop or you can come down to mine and I can show you the process first hand.
Yes, we will line that up. I have a flying buddy that would probably like to learn that process as well, if you are good with that.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
For the time being you can watch my video I did on it.
That is much easier than I ever imagined. I do suppose you have to have the same type covering for when you shrink it so it all expands the same and you don't have issues with the seams?

Where did you get your piece of glass from?

BalsaDust

Yes, we will line that up. I have a flying buddy that would probably like to learn that process as well, if you are good with that.

That’s not a problem at all.

That is much easier than I ever imagined. I do suppose you have to have the same type covering for when you shrink it so it all expands the same and you don't have issues with the seams?

Where did you get your piece of glass from?

Yes needs to be the same covering. Shrink rate I don’t think is that big of an issue more of the temp at which each starts to stick.
At first I used a piece of glass out of an old picture frame. Worked good but on larger sections you had to do part of it then move it. Your welcome to have that piece of glass to practice with if you would like. I ended up using a big piece that was originally cut for a sliding door that I broke the outer piece with the weed eater. Just never have gotten around to installing it so I use it to cover with.

Great video. Now you just need to come up with one for checkers (ultracote on ultracote) :)

For what you want to do on your edge it’s best to lay out each piece and tape one side so it’s in place. Also before that be sure you have gone over the base covering to shrink it really good. Then just start at one edge and tack it down. Then lift by the other end and just slowly use your iron to push it down as you go. This will help minimize air bubbles between the two layers.

Now I have done checkers on my glass before. That how I did them for my pink and purple glitter as well as the glitter jr I did for Goofy.