• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Agree with you love colour scheme and the layout but if I had to do it again it would definitely not be with Monocote first time I have used it and I don’t like it. It will be perfectly smooth one day come back the next morning and it has got wrinkles in it again .
What you have to do is shrink it in 10° increments until it quits wrinkling from temp changes. I have found, for me, it is different each model some set around 290° and other's as high as 320°. The GP Pitts was the highest at 320° been on for about a year now.

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
I'm not sure how many of you were able to see this but we SoCal residents were treated to a rare phenomenon early this morning: a Super Blue Blood Moon.

View attachment 101741

According to the trusty old reliable internet, this only happens once every 150 years. Guess it was worth getting up at 5:30 to see it :oblong:

It looked like that tonight on my drive home here in the mid west.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
What you have to do is shrink it in 10° increments until it quits wrinkling from temp changes. I have found, for me, it is different each model some set around 290° and other's as high as 320°. The GP Pitts was the highest at 320° been on for about a year now.
So if I understand stand you correctly is to raise the temperature on the iron 10 degrees every day until it stops wrinkling but do not exceed 320. Thanks. How do actually check the temperature on your iron. I have done it a few ways they are not very repeatable just interested to how you do it.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
So if I understand stand you correctly is to raise the temperature on the iron 10 degrees every day until it stops wrinkling but do not exceed 320. Thanks. How do actually check the temperature on your iron. I have done it a few ways they are not very repeatable just interested to how you do it.
I use a laser temp gun. And I check the bottom of the iron in several places.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I use an infra red laser to check the iron temp. My irons hottest point is about 1" in front of the heel so that is where I check it. As for the temp numbers I posted my results, yours may differ depending on your iron, how you check it, how fast you iron, etc. etc. Just try to be consistent in temp over all.
In my experience all coverings, including fabric, have a set point and like paint the ambient temp as well as humidity might play a roll in the ironing temp. So don't hold fast to a set number just increase it slowly until you find it has set. It is a little bit of a pain but in the long run is worth it not having those wrinkle's continuously. It will get those "in the sun wrinkles" but those should go away after removing from the sun.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks for all that I think I am going to invest in an infrared temperature gun . I have been using that little temperature unit that you set on the iron. I believe coverite made it but it looks like I need to invest into a new temperature measuring tool. One question do you guys use a sock on the iron or not.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Thanks for all that I think I am going to invest in an infrared temperature gun . I have been using that little temperature unit that you set on the iron. I believe coverite made it but it looks like I need to invest into a new temperature measuring tool. One question do you guys use a sock on the iron or not.
A sock is a must to keep colors, adhesives, etc. off the actual iron. I have several so if something get's on one I can yank it off and continue on. It's better than letting the iron cool, clean it, re-heat then begin again. I also have one of those little spring units and surprisingly it is pretty accurate, unless one drops it then it is toast. I use the infra at the start to set the iron and then set the spring on at idle times during the process as it lets me know if the iron changes dramatically, the numbers on the spring don't need to be the same just show change.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I use an infra red laser to check the iron temp. My irons hottest point is about 1" in front of the heel so that is where I check it. As for the temp numbers I posted my results, yours may differ depending on your iron, how you check it, how fast you iron, etc. etc. Just try to be consistent in temp over all.
In my experience all coverings, including fabric, have a set point and like paint the ambient temp as well as humidity might play a roll in the ironing temp. So don't hold fast to a set number just increase it slowly until you find it has set. It is a little bit of a pain but in the long run is worth it not having those wrinkle's continuously. It will get those "in the sun wrinkles" but those should go away after removing from the sun.

May I ask you a question I have a Super Stinker from Midwest it is a older kit. I believe it is 25% scale. What I would like to know is it worth while to build, and how well does it fly and is the kit any good thanks.

Decal Dennis

TEAM EP&G
How is XI 12 working out for you. Have you hooked up a temperature sensor to the radio, if you did how did it work and was it reasonably easy to do.

I haven't really messed with it to much, I did copy all my models over from the DX9. IMO, wasn't much help as it didn't have any of the mixes in there. A lot of the setting were there tho, just had to change a few things on the one model I did bind to so far. Could be because they are 2 totally different operating systems.