• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Alky6

150cc
Well bid it to my self again. The Gaui engine that I setup for my buddy is back at my house complete with his plane. He asked me if I would install the engine into the plane. Well been looking at It for a while with a tape measure, does not look good. Will have cut the front end off of the plane to make it fit. One thing I do know it is going to be a bitch to balance but time will tell. Will put up some pictures when I get into it.
Out of one frying pan and into another Snoopy! Sounds like you might as well move the wing tube forward too.... ;) :black-eye:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Well bid it to my self again. The Gaui engine that I setup for my buddy is back at my house complete with his plane. He asked me if I would install the engine into the plane. Well been looking at It for a while with a tape measure, does not look good. Will have cut the front end off of the plane to make it fit. One thing I do know it is going to be a bitch to balance but time will tell. Will put up some pictures when I get into it.

I think your a bit like me and enjoy doing others "dirty work" :). Take it as a compliment. Obviously your friend has a lot of confidence in your skills. However I do know sometimes things get brought to us that no skill level or tool can fix other than a hammer o_O.

Nice looking engine! Curious to hear how it runs.

I have read really good reports about the engine. And now that I have one in my hands I dare to say it is the equal or better in fit and finish of the other popular far-east engines and some European as well. Getting real close to having it ready for the first start :). Taking my time intentionally because there are some other issues I wanted to change / correct on and in the airframe.

0702182010-00.jpg
0702182009-00.jpg
0702182012-00.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Out of one frying pan and into another Snoopy! Sounds like you might as well move the wing tube forward too.... ;) :black-eye:
Looked at that but the plane is a Valiant 30cc ARF cannot not move the tube the fuselage just does not feasible.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
Last night I did a little repair work to my Hangar 9 Extra 300x. The front of the canopy was falling apart. What looks to be 1/4" ply is actually 2 pieces of 1/8" that are barely glued together. One of the tabs that hold the front down had delaminated and a chunk broke off. All the glue joints at the front were loose, so the tabs wiggled back and forth, and the canopy was coming loose at the front lip. A little time with some plywood, sandpaper, and lots of CA, it's better than new.

20180702_210741_resized.jpg
20180703_104709_resized.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Last night I did a little repair work to my Hangar 9 Extra 300x. The front of the canopy was falling apart. What looks to be 1/4" ply is actually 2 pieces of 1/8" that are barely glued together. One of the tabs that hold the front down had delaminated and a chunk broke off. All the glue joints at the front were loose, so the tabs wiggled back and forth, and the canopy was coming loose at the front lip. A little time with some plywood, sandpaper, and lots of CA, it's better than new.

View attachment 104121 View attachment 104122
Do not know why that is most ARF planes are not glued together properly. And it seems that all of them do it. Every ARF that I have owned was been like that. Then the manufacturer asked you to go over all the joints and glue them or wick them with thin CA. Are they Nut’s or what. You can only reach maybe 30% of the joists all are out of sight or in the tail section that are not accessible. Why can’t they just put a decent layer of glue down at assembly, it does not take that much more effort to job properly than badly especially laying a bead of glue down.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Giving my son pointers on his Sig Kadet build. He started the build at 6 years old or so and the project is often dormant for years. For whatever reason, maybe he and I heading to the airfield a couple of times recently, he is interested in the build again.
20180701_131033.jpg

Messy but it's a build.

20180704_081513.jpg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well striped the 3W-42 out of the Decathlon because it just would not run at the field yesterday. Preparing the engine test stand and the motor will be mounted on to it and then try and diagnose what is wrong with engine. Well it can only be one of two things the carburetor or the ignition so we will see.
Get it mounted with everything so it was the same as on the plane and go from there, the only thing that will be different is the gas tank.
D29AF393-3793-497A-9913-FF38C9C0DB04.jpeg

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
It's been a fairly productive few days. Aside from having to dig up and repair one of our water mains :oblong: I completed an older Multiplex Mentor from a load of parts I had on hand. Just need to find a canopy now.

36579046_10217669412314021_7394655870811897856_o.jpg

And I gave the old XTM Mammoth a spit shine yesterday since it was filthy. Probably hasn't been cleaned in years, glad the pipe shined right up with some aluminum polish, but no such luck on the header. May need to hit it with a buffing wheel...

36620352_10217684090960978_5069249203960545280_o.jpg

I also swapped the old HS-5945MG servo on steering out with a newer HS-7955TG. 2x the power, Titanium gears, should handle all this truck can dish out. I also re-adjusted the steering linkages. Factory had it set up to give the weak stock servo a speed advantage and further reduce its torque. Well no more, now it's all mechanical advantage, and it gave me a good solid toe-in :):)

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well had the engine on the test stand and same as when it was on the plane just would not run and not tuneable. Off the stand back to the workshop and started striping the engine down, well it did not take long removed the carburetor and then the reed block well it was pretty obvious then the Reed were buggered. Replace the reeds put the engine back on the stand and what a difference with the new modified reeds. The engine pulled 128 rpm more than it ever had. So back into the plane later on to day and hopefully be flying it tomorrow.
5F02CB5D-F797-401F-B789-9BAEB5FB2FD0.jpeg