• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Looks good to me! :cautious:. But I have proven myself :eek: "unworthy" when it comes to electric power systems o_O.

I will say though.....When I first did my Pilot Extra 330sc 78" it was an electric. I was swinging a Falcon 20x8 CF electric prop on 12S and the 120 amp ESC would cutout at WOT. Put a 150 amp in and it worked fine. Now my plane was heavy for an electric at almost 16 pounds.
I would just make sure 80 amps is enough ESC.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Looks good to me! :cautious:. But I have proven myself :eek: "unworthy" when it comes to electric power systems o_O.

I will say though.....When I first did my Pilot Extra 330sc 78" it was an electric. I was swinging a Falcon 20x8 CF electric prop on 12S and the 120 amp ESC would cutout at WOT. Put a 150 amp in and it worked fine. Now my plane was heavy for an electric at almost 16 pounds.
I would just make sure 80 amps is enough ESC.

I'm just following what others have done at this point, because I'm pretty green when it comes to these kind of setups as well. My current meter should let me know if it's peaking out... I think....
No BEC either, just strait 2S LiPo to the RX. I am curious to see what happens as well. FWIW the recommended XPWR 30cc is paired with the CC80A

Last edited:

BalsaDust

I've seen these hinges on the Extreme Flight website, what is the hype about these Radio South CA hinges? @Snoopy1 did you try these places;?
http://radiosouthrc.com/radio-south-products/pro-hinges/
http://extremeflightrc.com/Radio-South-CA-Hinge_p_4659.html

Basically they hold up and they don’t tear apart. Also if you have ever used great planes ca hinges you know that once you insert a hinge like say just test fitting parts that when you pull it back out it gets all fuzzy and becomes really hard to put back in the slot when final install comes. Radio south ones I think you could remove and install 10-15 items before you have to worry about them.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Rebuilt the landing gear for the 50cc profile. The piano wire just did not cut it to soft and it was-flexing in all directions and I broke a prop when I landed the gear is just to soft. So bent up some aluminum alloy and made a pair of landing legs. 0.160 thick and 1 1/8 wide should do the trick. Just had to make a small square aluminum nut that fitted into the fuselage so that I could bolt the gear to fuselage. As soon as everything is cured and the wind dies down, will have give it a try and see how it works.
64D7ED20-2057-4BCC-B48D-AF88157AF1CE.jpeg
139FE8A0-5092-4D82-9862-C8A144362661.jpeg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
It looks as if it has been flown a lot already. Is that the old engine setting off to the side? Are you putting a new cowl on? or going to repair the old one?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
It looks as if it has been flown a lot already. Is that the old engine setting off to the side? Are you putting a new cowl on? or going to repair the old one?

The Valiant has had a hard live the owner is hard on planes. And yes that is the old engine in the background. The owner is looking for a new cowl I belive. Like I said I will in stall the engine and do all the electrical to get it up and flying but not working on the cowl or covering. I think he will have hard time finding anything for the plane because as usual Hanger 9 has once again stoped production on the Valiant.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I got a couple of the "Glitch Buster" capacitor's coming. Anyone know what's the best way to install them?

I was thinking "y" one on each elevator servo for they have the longest extensions at 36".

glitch buster cap.jpg