• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
B6ADC179-55AC-4613-8B30-3F0F2120CC42.jpeg
After work this evening I did a little runup test on the RCGF 20CC on the Blue Nose Stang. She runs pretty good for a brand new engine. I might need to tweak the needles a tad more, but I'll wait till she breaks in a little more. I did check all attitudes while it was running too. No stalling and nose straight up she will pull herself free from my hands. Not too shabby for just shy of 11 pounds. I also have the ailerons and flaps connected and dialed in. It's time for runway scraffin' boys. Tomorrow the lil Stang goes out on patrol. Looking for them boggies.
Ok this is a first you actually do not have one of these beauties for the Stang, you are slipping up.
Ok what is going on with the flaps they seem to move with the throttle?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
View attachment 105814
Ok this is a first you actually do not have one of these beauties for the Stang, you are slipping up.
Ok what is going on with the flaps they seem to move with the throttle?
Unfortunately Snoops... 3w does not make a "Mighty Mini Dub". The smallest they make is the 28i that you posted the photo of. Trust and believe, if I could've shoe-horned it in, I'd have done it. But good lord, do you realize they swing the same prop as the 35 cc'ers...?? Can you 'magine a 35cc gasser on this size plane? That would be insane. Lol.

As for the the flaps moving with the throttle. Good catch my brother. You have a keen eye. Heck I didn't even see that issue until I viewed the video.
pondering-and-thinking-smiley-emoticon.gif
Crazy thing is, they dont do it with the motor not running.
impatient-smiley-emoticon.gif
If I move the throttle without running the engine, they dont move like that. Only when the engine is running and the throttle is brought up off idle. Course it helped a ton and now they are solid as a rock.

I hooked the linkages up after doing the test run.
happy-wink-smiley-emoticon.gif

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
For what it is worth, Hangar 9 is bringing out a true 20cc gas Stang.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/p-51d-...0?clickpath=AIR_NEW_RELEASE_rotator1_09132018
I already have an order pending. That 28i would be badass in that lil Stang!
View attachment 105820
I like that I could be convinced to buy that just for something different. The worst of it is I have nice little OS 22Gt gas engine sitting in a draw need a home. And still have not purchased anything for this winter to build now I know it is a ARF but still something different.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I like that I could be convinced to buy that just for something different. The worst of it is I have nice little OS 22Gt gas engine sitting in a draw need a home. And still have not purchased anything for this winter to build now I know it is a ARF but still something different.
I love the OS gassers even though I’ve never owned one myself. A friend of mine has a couple and they are so smooth and quiet that I thought he was flying an electric plane.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Just think of it with little 3W you could put a four blabbed propeller on the Stang now that would look good.
Do you actually have one of those 3W28 engines.
Mmmm…… Not yet. Key word, "yet". :laughing:

Well there you go. I think we should do a double build/assembly thread. Get yours ordered. I bet they won't last long.

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
I've been working on a little project the last few days. Anyone that's tried to use a video camera on a sunny day knows how hard the screen is to see in the brite light. I've tried a hood that shades the screen, but it's only marginally better.

I saw a YouTube video where a guy made a magnified viewer so I decided to build my own.

The box I made from sheet styrene and the lens is a loupe that came in a set from Harbor Freight for $3.00. The whole unit is held on the foldout view screen with elastic bands. I'm taking it to the field tomorrow to try it out.

While I was at Harbor Freight I picked up another inch pound torque wrench. This one is for my buddy Tony. It's like $10 with a coupon, and they work great!

20180927_205047_resized.jpg
20180929_173747_resized.jpg
20180929_200753_resized.jpg
20180929_200826_resized.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I've been working on a little project the last few days. Anyone that's tried to use a video camera on a sunny day knows how hard the screen is to see in the brite light. I've tried a hood that shades the screen, but it's only marginally better.

I saw a YouTube video where a guy made a magnified viewer so I decided to build my own.

The box I made from sheet styrene and the lens is a loupe that came in a set from Harbor Freight for $3.00. The whole unit is held on the foldout view screen with elastic bands. I'm taking it to the field tomorrow to try it out.

While I was at Harbor Freight I picked up another inch pound torque wrench. This one is for my buddy Tony. It's like $10 with a coupon, and they work great!

View attachment 105838 View attachment 105839 View attachment 105840 View attachment 105841
What a really cool idea. That would be awesome. Now if only Kelly @49dimes will send me his new camera and you could make one of these for me, I would be set!!
hearty-laugh.gif

Hey, that is the same torque wrench my Son and I have. Perfect size for the field box and handy to have around. Not very hurtful on the pocket book when you buy it. But sure saves you a ton of grief when you need to torque your props. And a ton more from no damage from loose props.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
I love the OS gassers even though I’ve never owned one myself. A friend of mine has a couple and they are so smooth and quiet that I thought he was flying an electric plane.
No doubt they are some extremely powerful engines.

The only thing I have seen is they are a bit pricey in comparison to other engines and the running backwards thing is unreal. It is almost an expected behavior. I know a guy and watched him over a year dealing with one of those suckers and it started more times backwards than it did forwards. He tried about everything a person could try to keep it from doing that.

I think he finally gave up on it and got something else, but not sure as I have not seen him for a while. The only thing I know that works is always starting it with an electric starter so it is starting in the right direction.