• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Two days of sand, prime, fill, repeat and I finally have the wheel pant repaired. I need to replace the 9/32 brass carrier that holds everything together but don't have a piece, will get it in the morning and finish this bird up.

View attachment 106384
Well another good job done all that needs to be done is mounted and the plane will be ready to go. One more plane ready for the skies. Work bench is clear for the next project.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Well another good job done all that needs to be done is mounted and the plane will be ready to go. One more plane ready for the skies. Work bench is clear for the next project.
Just about have all the inners done, just working on fitting them. There is a piece of wood in the end of the axle hub that houses a screw from the outside of the pant. Just getting it sized and then I can mount them, should be done tonight. And we all know what that empty table will get filled with, right. LOL!!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Did some more work on the 20cc plane. Stiffened up the tail section a little and finished of the tank area so that it can slid in from the side and out of the way.

E82C6057-1A2F-4B3C-A5A2-BE02C13D786D.jpeg

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
On big planes, or heavy planes, I don't want the pants done in a manner that they would break on a nose over. That is why I do what I call an axle hub. The pant can rotate without causing any harm and easily be rotated back to position.

Attachments

• P1090044.JPG
    P1090044.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 231
  • P1090047.JPG
    P1090047.JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 209
  • P1090046.JPG
    P1090046.JPG
    130.9 KB · Views: 254
  • P1090048.JPG
    P1090048.JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 214

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
On big planes, or heavy planes, I don't want the pants done in a manner that they would break on a nose over. That is why I do what I call an axle hub. The pant can rotate without causing any harm and easily be rotated back to position.
I need to do something like that I will install the wheel pants when the plane is new as soon as something happens to the wheel pants they are history. Never ending problem and high maintenance but I belive your solution saves the wheel pants for certain accidents. Nice job.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I need to do something like that I will install the wheel pants when the plane is new as soon as something happens to the wheel pants they are history. Never ending problem and high maintenance but I belive your solution saves the wheel pants for certain accidents. Nice job.
Every wheel pants that I have seen has a rigid mount, everything places an adverse force on the pant especially grass and nose overs. Therefore it is in my opinion they should be free to move with those forces. This method has been working for me on a number of airframes for numerous years now.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Woo Hoo! It is done, all but thread lock and tightening the set screws. But that will have to take place tomorrow as it has to go to the other side of the shop, be lifted with the wench, then turned up side down in order to do that and I am to whooped to do that tonight. But it will be finished and on it's dolly waiting for a trip to the airfield tomorrow as soon as I return from the airfield, lol.

Attachments

• P1090049.JPG
    P1090049.JPG
    179.6 KB · Views: 210

HRRC Flyer

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Woo Hoo! It is done, all but thread lock and tightening the set screws. But that will have to take place tomorrow as it has to go to the other side of the shop, be lifted with the wench, then turned up side down in order to do that and I am to whooped to do that tonight. But it will be finished and on it's dolly waiting for a trip to the airfield tomorrow as soon as I return from the airfield, lol.
Dang that Pitts looks AWESOME . . . . . . .:yesss: .