• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Exactly. okay Premium pump gas 5gal/$20 one bottle of oil/$15 = $35 bucks for FIVE gallons. There was a time I ordered a pallet of glow from cool power with a quantity and club discount, shipped ground to Seattle, and barged up to Juneau discounted with a friends account, and it was $18/gal everything included. This was close to ten years ago, before nitro methane prices went through the roof. I remember a store in Fairbanks that was selling the SAME stuff for $50/gal... total rip off. I joined the local club and they sold canned nitro for $25/gal if I remember correctly.
Fast forward to today, I very much dislike the hassle it takes for me to order glow fuel let alone by the pint from the LHS. Thus switching to gasoline was a no-brainer. I loved flying all the .40 size nitro planes - talk about fun. My favorite engines were the OS 70FS and the 55AX, always ran, always but a smile on my face. I haven't flown nitro in a few years, but those memories tug at my heart strings.
I couldn't be happier with just gasoline and electrics though. @Snoopy1 your 20cc engine will run forever on a 8oz tank.... like to the moon and back lol. pretty awesome they just sip fuel in comparison to a nitro bird. That was one thing I could never get over. My 35cc planes eat about 1oz/min... seems much less for a 20cc!
And for the very reasons you mentioned, I gave up on Glow and went strictly gas. Then a couple of 'lectrics but mostly dino fuel. The one nitro I now have is great. I can pretty much guarantee I will not be getting any more. But this one is pretty fun. If I want to relive memories, I will fire up the smelly, slimey, gooie, expensive fuel burning O.S. Max 70 Surpass. That will be enough to tide me over. LOL

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
And for the very reasons you mentioned, I gave up on Glow and went strictly gas. Then a couple of 'lectrics but mostly dino fuel. The one nitro I now have is great. I can pretty much guarantee I will not be getting any more. But this one is pretty fun. If I want to relive memories, I will fire up the smelly, slimey, gooie, expensive fuel burning O.S. Max 70 Surpass. That will be enough to tide me over. LOL
Come guys glow is not that bad it is expensive but if you set up the exhaust with a deflection it is some what livable. It is still not as bad as a smoke system.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Well with the snow on the ground it was time to to get the winter plane ready for the winter. Got the three skies installed on the plane and the engine covered up so that it can operate properly.

View attachment 106688 View attachment 106689 View attachment 106690

Been thinking about designing and 3D printing some ski's.. . because I can. My experience with most ski's is that they are too small to stay on top of the snow. The Dubro skis are a measly 9" and about 3" wide. It would be a lot easier to make them out of carbon I think. Which reminds me, I purchased some a couple years back at a swap meet that were carbon with gel coating on the bottom, just never had a bird to put them on.
One thing I have always found annoying is the spring setup. I started to design skis about six years ago with rc truck springs/shocks, the issue was mounting that to the gear leg. Doesn't work with spring steel rod unless you soldered a tab onto it. BUT with aluminum gear and carbon gear I can dill a hole in or even print a collar that cinches down around the gear leg to attach the spring to, then it could be adjusted up or down for fine tuning... LOOK OUT!! my Brain is working aagainnN!! :on_the_go:
My sketch at this point is 5" wide, and 13" tall. . . may decide against it once I see how long the estimated print time would be. :face-palm:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Been thinking about designing and 3D printing some ski's.. . because I can. My experience with most ski's is that they are too small to stay on top of the snow. The Dubro skis are a measly 9" and about 3" wide. It would be a lot easier to make them out of carbon I think. Which reminds me, I purchased some a couple years back at a swap meet that were carbon with gel coating on the bottom, just never had a bird to put them on.
One thing I have always found annoying is the spring setup. I started to design skis about six years ago with rc truck springs/shocks, the issue was mounting that to the gear leg. Doesn't work with spring steel rod unless you soldered a tab onto it. BUT with aluminum gear and carbon gear I can dill a hole in or even print a collar that cinches down around the gear leg to attach the spring to, then it could be adjusted up or down for fine tuning... LOOK OUT!! my Brain is working aagainnN!! :on_the_go:
My sketch at this point is 5" wide, and 13" tall. . . may decide against it once I see how long the estimated print time would be. :face-palm:
Look at this at #8998. These skies I designed and built. At one stage in my early years of rc planes I just loved flying in the winter I actually enjoyed it more than the summer. The skies you see on that plane is years of development. Every year I would build a new set and what you see is the end result. If you would like more info just ask.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
Look at this at #8998. These skies I designed and built. At one stage in my early years of rc planes I just loved flying in the winter I actually enjoyed it more than the summer. The skies you see on that plane is years of development. Every year I would build a new set and what you see is the end result. If you would like more info just ask.

Where am I looking?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well ready to jump on it. With only 2 inches of clear space on the inside of it is proving to be very difficult to get it all inside the fuselage. And on top of that it all has to be ahead of the CG. Looks like I missed the calculations on the CG by just under an inch. Once it is all in I do not think I can get any of it out again. Went up stairs to have a tea and think about how it going to fit and give my finger and back a rest.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Did a little mod to the FunCub last night. Over the weekend I noticed the landing gear was being a little too flexible which was causing the prop to drag in the soft sand on short landings. Had a spare landing gear wire and mounting block, bent and cut the wire to shape then used some industrial strength marine heat shrink tubing to secure the wire ends together. This stuff has a hot melt glue in it that bonds to everything and dries very stiff, should hold up real good :cautious: I also ditched the lame tailwheel in favor of a nice soft foam one I had from a wrecked Rockstar. She aught'a land real nice and firm now.

20181114_185424.jpg
20181114_190759.jpg
20181114_190818.jpg
20181114_191154.jpg

Little shout out to BSI Adhesives. They have always been a top tier glue manufacturer for me, and their brew quality is extremely consistent from batch to batch. I used all of the products pictured below on my little mod, and always suggest them for any glue work on Multiplex Elapor models :yesss:
20181114_192931.jpg

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Did a little mod to the FunCub last night. Over the weekend I noticed the landing gear was being a little too flexible which was causing the prop to drag in the soft sand on short landings. Had a spare landing gear wire and mounting block, bent and cut the wire to shape then used some industrial strength marine heat shrink tubing to secure the wire ends together. This stuff has a hot melt glue in it that bonds to everything and dries very stiff, should hold up real good :cautious: I also ditched the lame tailwheel in favor of a nice soft foam one I had from a wrecked Rockstar. She aught'a land real nice and firm now.

View attachment 106810 View attachment 106811 View attachment 106812 View attachment 106813
Little shout out to BSI Adhesives. They have always been a top tier glue manufacturer for me, and their brew quality is extremely consistent from batch to batch. I used all of the products pictured below on my little mod, and always suggest them for any glue work on Multiplex Elapor models :yesss:View attachment 106814

Nice mod!!