• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

The 'What did you do in your workshop tonight?' thread

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
How does the 120 compare to the 106? Been flying my friends Aeroworks 35% Extra with a 3W 150CS, insane power.

I bought an Edge 540a few years ago with the 120 on it, don't remember the difference. Way more compression in 3W's, that I know. But heavier.

TonyHallo

150cc
I have two One Design planes. One designed by Robert Godfrey and the second designed by Frank Knoll. I recently recovered the Godfrey designed plane and put three flights on it this past Saturday. When the Knoll designed plane was built in 2014 I decided to use Hobby King covering material to test it out. It worked very well, looks a little like Monokote and goes on like Ultrakote. I modeled the plane after the photo found on airliners.net shown below. After numerous attempts to match the fluorescent green color I gave up and set the project aside.
I wanted to finish a few things before beginning the next build. The covering has held up well of the past seven years and I was able to remove the green and blue covering and replace those with True Red, Orange, Yellow Monokote covering. Had no problems ironing the Monokote over the white Hobby King material. It looks like Horizon is discontinuing the Monokote line colors are sold out, this is sad and a case of throwing the baby out with the bath water in my opinion.

deene1.jpg
IMG_1101.JPG
IMG_2298.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
The Hobby King covering was removed with a heat gun, those areas where the top plastic layer separates from the color base clean up very easy with acetone.
A little more about this plane. I wanted canisters on the plane when I built it, could not find a can to my liking so I decided to modify cheap Hobby King cans. You get what you pay for! The Hobby King cans have a single perforated plate inside as shown below. The cans were too long so the body was cut and the end cap after clean up in the lathe was brazed back on with Harris Al-Braze 1070. I don't expect then to sound like a JMB can but do expect reasonable muffling. Time will tell.
IMG_2295.jpg
IMG_1509.JPG
IMG_1512.JPG
IMG_1513.JPG
IMG_1525.JPG

-Rick-

100cc
Sad to say we all might be using hobby king covering soon. I have always enjoyed my monokote and will be very sad to have to use something else. Now I'm looking for at least 9 rolls to cover my next build and it is very hard to get hold of it here.

You did a great job on those canisters Tony. I might copy you on that!

BalsaDust

Sad to say we all might be using hobby king covering soon. I have always enjoyed my monokote and will be very sad to have to use something else. Now I'm looking for at least 9 rolls to cover my next build and it is very hard to get hold of it here.

You did a great job on those canisters Tony. I might copy you on that!
I actually really enjoy using the hobby king covering. Always been much easier to me at least to work with than monokote.

BalsaDust

Brought a new bird home to my workshop yesterday. Flying buddy passed away back in December and his wife reached out a couple of months ago to help get all of his stuff into the hands of people that would enjoy it over just wasting away in the garage. So yesterday we got it all out into her driveway and hosted a RC Yard Sale. Sold 75% of the airplanes and hope to get rid of the rest soon. All in all she was happy with seeing the stuff go to people that will enjoy it and got to put some money in her pockets as well.

Now to see if I can make Kenny proud doing tail touches with this thing next spring like he would be doing himself.
308399043_587092083190762_8261095611862764383_n.jpg
308430671_882016266491561_985610579290774994_n.jpg