• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Thrust, questions, engine mounting.....

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Cam........does the cowl look correct when on the fuse? Is it possible that the cowl ring (I'm assuming it has one) may not be glued in properly?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
hello, please look at the picture again with the SWB template., you will notice several things,
1. the swab mount has remade lines on it, to match up with the lines on the motor mount. look at it carefully. they are there.
2. pay attention to the sides of the firewall. you will see that on the right side and left side, there are three screws with washers. ok, now look at the 2md screw down, or should i say, the middle screw in the vertical row. now pay attention to the washer. if you see the washer, there is a line by the top of the washer. this is the horizontal line. now follow this line across to the template, and you will see it matches up. I know, it is difficult to see, but it is there.
Whooooa..... Now ain't that something? I used my photo viewer to copy and paste your thrust alignment photo. Blew it up and lo and behold what did I see? Precisely what you were describing. I stand corrected. Ain't computers great? LMAO.... Very odd the alignment of the cowl is that far off.

Cam........does the cowl look correct when on the fuse? Is it possible that the cowl ring (I'm assuming it has one) may not be glued in properly?

Hi rex, yes, those are two part cowls, and they come all ready to plug and play. all i had to do was screw them in.
the ring may have been glued on improperly, but, it turns out, i am not the only one with this problem. seems that many who have this airplane have had the same problem. it feels good to not be alone ;)

Whooooa..... Now ain't that something? I used my photo viewer to copy and paste your thrust alignment photo. Blew it up and lo and behold what did I see? Precisely what you were describing. I stand corrected. Ain't computers great? LMAO.... Very odd the alignment of the cowl is that far off.

that is awesome that you got to see this line!! it is quite faint! i know what you were saying!!! that is why i pointed it out. best regards, Cam

TazmanianDevil

Xtreme by DeFinition !
From what Ive learned and do, when you check the up and side thrust, you usually move the engine 1-2 degrees so, it not always align.
All my ARF planes, never had an aligned cowl because of the thrust angle, different engines, different props, heck, when I change the prop from 31-12 to 32-12 I need to add 1 degree to the right...or just fly with the rudder off set 2-3 degrees.
So beauty come second to practical, figure that out... ;-) :congrats:

Kevin-Young

70cc twin V2
You should have no adverse effect by moving the engine up the bolt width or so that you need and realistically you are just putting the engine back on the thrust line the manufacture intended it on being. Bob Godfrey taught my dad and I a long time ago that + or - about an inch from the thrust line you really will not notice any changes to the airplane as far as flight characteristics. Technically it may reduce you mixing amount slightly but with that little change I am not really sure you would notice it.

You can move the engine up or down. It wont change how it rolls on that X axis. It wont even change the pitch on Y axis, either. Ive done that alot, over the years of assembling ARFs for folks.

I can live with 1/16" variance much better than I can with 1/4 or 3/8".