• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Timber 110" Twin Build

RC80AK

50cc
The power has arrived! Two Scorpion SII-4035-250kv motors. I'm a big fan of the 40 series Scorpions, I have 6 of them now in various lengths/kv. They will be paired with Castle Creations Edge 80HV, 10s, and 16x10 Graupner E-Props. I'll have them spinning opposite each other with reversing for landing breaks. Static thrust should be right around 20lbs each with a pitch speed of 90mph. They will be just cracking the max continuous power rating full power static, but under with any forward speed. I suspect my plane will come in just over 20lbs flight weight, so 40lbs+ static should be sufficient;) Nearly 6000watts for Twinber. :big-grin:

IMG_3321.jpg

RC80AK

50cc
Wow that looks different have to look at it for a while. Must say interesting change.
I love the look of the stock cowl and windshield, they did an excellent job with the design, so it's a little hard to replace perfectly good parts. Twin motors blowing on those massive flaps will be a blast at the beach! I won't be modifying the fuselage, so it would be a quick swap to go stock single motor.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Just for comparison my Timber came in at 20 lbs on the nose, that is ready to take off standing on the runway. That. Is with standard gear and those terrible stock wheels.
Like the motors.

RC80AK

50cc
Just for comparison my Timber came in at 20 lbs on the nose, that is ready to take off standing on the runway. That. Is with standard gear and those terrible stock wheels.
Like the motors.
What is your power setup that brings you to that weight? I ran across a summary of flying timber weights, but couldn't find it just now. I anticipate being low 20s. Probably around 23lbs.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
My set up is Timber is stock on bling added. Motor 40cc XPWR with two 5000 mAh .
Still battling the landing gear. Had to bend the landing gear back into shape after several landings. Did a bunch of measurements the stock gear is 4mm thick but to thin looking at it I agree with you 5mm will do the trick or 3/16. Cannot find any material around me 6061-T6 3/16 thick.

Last edited:

RC80AK

50cc
I stuffed the cardboard template in the scanner, traced in CAD, and lengthened the nose out a couple inches to give it a little more sleek appearance. The firewall/windshield area tapers and arcs in several directions which makes it difficult to line up a one piece windshild/nose cone. I'm going to compromise a perfect fit up a little for ease of building.

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 11.01.43 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 11.02.39 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-07-08 at 11.02.50 PM.png

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
What is your power setup that brings you to that weight? I ran across a summary of flying timber weights, but couldn't find it just now. I anticipate being low 20s. Probably around 23lbs.

I have a post in the other thread about weights.
With my setup (DLE55, xcub gear, and 8.75” PRs),

Empty 20.7# no struts/slats/fuel/batteries) CG 5.125”

Loaded 22.3# Everything installed including gas, struts, batteries, slats resting in place. CG 5" (didn't change as much as I thought it would).

RC80AK

50cc
I have a post in the other thread about weights.
With my setup (DLE55, xcub gear, and 8.75” PRs),

Empty 20.7# no struts/slats/fuel/batteries) CG 5.125”

Loaded 22.3# Everything installed including gas, struts, batteries, slats resting in place. CG 5" (didn't change as much as I thought it would).
Good deal, so I'll probably be 22-23lbs. Thanks Nick.