• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

To a Splendor to make it more 3D? Tips or advice.

AKfreak

150cc
Hello, I was wondering if there are some mods I can make to my splendor to make it more 3D.

This thing is so fast on the down line, it covers the airspace quickly. Also is there a better prop I can out on it for better post stall flight. I an hover it, but the prop feels like more of a speed prop.

This thing rolls like a DRILL.

I am interested to hear what you have to say.

AKfreak

150cc
I see there are no fans of the splendor. I can see why it has been discontinued.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr. Gonzo

70cc twin V2
Actually it is kinda cool. This site does not have the traffic of the "other" site. people here are only going to help if they have the knowledge to do so. About the prop, what are you running now? Motor size and kv? What size battery? Those are more relevent questions that will let us help you! Welcome by the way! Your post has also only had 14 views. Patience...

AKfreak

150cc
My Splendor is all stock. The motor is a BL50 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 525KV on a 6S pack. It runs a APC 14x7E prop, and has a 60-Amp Pro Switch-Mode BEC Brushless ESC (V2) by E-flite. My battery ranges between a 3700 to 5000 mah and AUW is around 5 1/2 LBS. I have the AS3X gains on Zero because I find that stabilizer just gets in the way when you are trying to Huck-it around. It would be nice if you could flip it on and off with a switch, because its was nice on landing when dealing with choppy wind and random gusts.

gyro

GSN Contributor
My Splendor is all stock. The motor is a BL50 Brushless Outrunner Motor, 525KV on a 6S pack. It runs a APC 14x7E prop, and has a 60-Amp Pro Switch-Mode BEC Brushless ESC (V2) by E-flite. My battery ranges between a 3700 to 5000 mah and AUW is around 5 1/2 LBS. I have the AS3X gains on Zero because I find that stabilizer just gets in the way when you are trying to Huck-it around. It would be nice if you could flip it on and off with a switch, because its was nice on landing when dealing with choppy wind and random gusts.

Just looking at the above, would say you should try propping up to a 15x6 or 15x7 to get more grunt out of the motor, and to get some more air over the tail in post stall. Check the 15" props with a watt meter, and try and keep the continuos full power draw at 60a or less... Momentary bursts over 60 are ok.
Also, those big 6s5000 packs belong in a 10lb plane.... Try and get comfy with the 3700, or even down to a 3300.

My preference in the 55-60" wingspan size is a 500kv motor, 15x8 prop, 6s 3000-3300mah packs, (eflite recommends 3200) and as close to 5lb or less as I can get.

You can switch your AR635 to sport mode and that will give you two different adjustable gain banks, set the gain on one to 0 to be able to turn it off. You'll lose the preset lo/hi rates though and each bank will have full throw.

AKfreak

150cc
You can switch your AR635 to sport mode and that will give you two different adjustable gain banks, set the gain on one to 0 to be able to turn it off. You'll lose the preset lo/hi rates though and each bank will have full throw.
That is a great Idea.

AKfreak

150cc
@ Gyro, I have some 3700 packs. I will try them. I just like the longer flight times with the 5000's But to make it a better 3D plane, I will try the smaller packs and change the prop.

retiredVTT

New to GSN!
Recently, HH had the Splendor back in stock at a ridiculous price of $199.00 with FREE SHIPPING.
Well, they flew off the shelves in a little over three weeks and their site now says it's on back order.

This model is first of all a PATTERN model...secondly a model capable of some 3D tricks.

Bill

Attachments

• efl10250.jpg
    efl10250.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 209

AKfreak

150cc
Have had it for a while now, it flys good when you dial the gains of the AS3X to Zero.