• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Trailer Ideas

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Hey everyone... am I dazed and confused? I thought I had seen a thread on trailers or ideas on trailers but can't seem to find it. Or maybe a few comments were just mentioned in other threads. If I missed it, then pardon this thread. If there is not one, then I suppose this would be a good place to ask a few questions. So away we go.

For the longest time, I have been transporting my planes in my pickup. It has been ok, but with all the larger planes I seem to be acquiring, it is no longer satisfactory for my liking. Although it is a mere 23 miles to the field I now fly at, I am seriously wanting something a little more secure and more organized. Also, since attending the Huckfest at Wenatchee last year, borrowing a friends trailer has proved to me that owning my own would be awesome.

I started looking at a few of the manufacturers here in the valley along with others. I am really liking the "Mirage" trailers. I think a 6'x12' is going to be too small for my wants. I am looking at the 7'x14' trailers. Here's the questions. What is the general consensus on brands of trailers? What size are most of you using? Is the size you're using enough? Too much? Too small? What about ceiling height? Standard 6'4" or go with the 7'? I plan on a wedge nose verses just the rounded corner front end. I plan to put a generator up front housed in a compartment on the tongue. What about lights inside? A/C fluorescent or 12V? Both? I also feel the drop ramp is great. However I have seen double doors too. Any advantage of double doors?

I am sure I will have tons of questions after I pick it up, but it would be really cool if those of you that own a trailer would share your insight and knowledge. Hey, post some pictures too. They are always good for information. Oh, I should mention the 7'x14" I am looking at is $3900.00 new. Can I do better on price?

Appreciate the input....

Patroller

70cc twin V2
Rob, my trailer is a 6x12 by Interstate/ Trailers Plus. It is the second trailer I have owned by them. It's made here in Idaho. You are welcome to take a closer look at how planes fit when we are at the field. I will be posting build details as I get to work on it this winter.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Rob, my trailer is a 6x12 by Interstate/ Trailers Plus. It is the second trailer I have owned by them. It's made here in Idaho. You are welcome to take a closer look at how planes fit when we are at the field. I will be posting build details as I get to work on it this winter.
Thanks Dave. I looked at the Mirage and I also looked at the Interstate. Interstate is about another 1500 more than the Mirage and I really don't care too much for the plastic roof cap in the front. I was looking at the 6x12 but after thinking about it, I am going with the 7x14. Want plenty of room for the planes, plus everyone here has given me some awesome ideas. Jas's is cool... I especially like what Chad and bigmoebbq did with theirs.

Patroller

70cc twin V2
I looked at a 7x14, but most of them were double axle and quite a bit heavier. I currently tow with a Jeep Rubicon and it is more limited on towing than most pickups.

mndless

Don't know a thing..
I looked at a 7x14, but most of them were double axle and quite a bit heavier. I currently tow with a Jeep Rubicon and it is more limited on towing than most pickups.

I went through the same search... most trailers in that size does come with a double axle... found a site where you can 'order' a trailer the way you want it... http://trailers123.com/

Got the 7x14 with the single axle, insulated, etc.... took 6 to 8 weeks to get....