• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Tuned pipe on a DA50. How many dB?

njswede

150cc
Unfortunately, I have to deal with new noise restrictions at one of my fields. Anything flown on a Sunday needs to meet <90dB @ 10ft. I haven't tested it yet, but I have a feeling my DA50 with a single pipe side dump is going to fail that with quite a margin. So I need to do something about my exhaust system. I also would like to squeeze out a tad more power, so I'm thinking I may want a tuned pipe.

So my question is: Do I have any chance to meet a 90dB noise limit with a tuned pipe or should I spend my money on a canister instead?

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Unfortunately, I have to deal with new noise restrictions at one of my fields. Anything flown on a Sunday needs to meet <90dB @ 10ft. I haven't tested it yet, but I have a feeling my DA50 with a single pipe side dump is going to fail that with quite a margin. So I need to do something about my exhaust system. I also would like to squeeze out a tad more power, so I'm thinking I may want a tuned pipe.

So my question is: Do I have any chance to meet a 90dB noise limit with a tuned pipe or should I spend my money on a canister instead?

I had the DA50 on a MTW RE2 pipe. It was much quieter than I ever expected! It was so quiet that it was hard tell if it was running sometimes (of course while in the air)!

SnowDog

I had the DA50 on a MTW RE2 pipe. It was much quieter than I ever expected! It was so quiet that it was hard tell if it was running sometimes (of course while in the air)!
[MENTION=151]bruceman[/MENTION] has something on his DA60....Bruce what are you running...I know that is a really quiet setup!

AKfreak

150cc
Hey [MENTION=109]NJSwede[/MENTION] when you go with a new pipe, I am interested in the stock DA pipe, if you choose to sell it. AKf

bruceman

50cc
Hello Snowdog,

My Pilot Edge is running a DA 25mm drop header with a prowflow medium rear dump canister. I too was amazed how quiet the DA60 is with this set up the first time we fired it up.