• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Valuehobby Saber X 51

njswede

150cc
The airframe itself is $119, but that's probably going to be the smallest expense.

For the motor, I've had great success with the EMax GT2826/05 from HeadsUpRC. It's really cheap (around $30), but delivers good performance. You probably don't want to push too hard in KE-spins etc. but for basic 3D flying it's more than enough. If you want a killer motor, the Motrolfly DM3615/750 seems the way to go, but that one retails around $100, I believe.

For the ESC, go with either the ZTW A-series 70A or a B-series 65A. The latter has the advantage of supporting a higher BEC voltage, which gives your servos more strength. They both are around $40. Really no need to look elsewhere. ZTW seems to be THE brand these days for affordable ESCs.

That takes us to the most painful part: The servos. I'm living proof that the saying "Buy quality, cry once" is true. I initially got a bunch of the PowerHD servos ValueHobby used to recommend for this plane (I don't think they do anymore). Utter garbage! Stripped on the second trip to the field. Then I went and put in some Hitec HS82MG that I happened to have. Much better, but too weak for this plane, so I wouldn't recommend them either. I now have a set of HS5085MGs sitting on my bench waiting to be installed. I have a feeling they're going to make this plane even better! The HS5085MGs aren't exactly cheap, but I think you could get away just fine with HS85MGs (the analog version).

So count on the motor setting you back anywhere between $30-100, the ESC about $45 and the servos about $120 if you go with the HS85MG (which I strongly recommend, unless you want to step up to the even more expensive 5085MGs).

As for durability, well, this is a 3D balsa plane built to be light, so it's not going to like being doinked into the runway. However, the LG plate is pretty beefy and if you add a little bit of epoxy around it, it should withstand some pretty rough landings. I have to admit that my landings aren't always perfect. I did manage to rip out the LG plate, though, but that was after falling out of a hover and pancaking the plane HARD. It took me about an evening to fix (check my blog on this site for details).

So if you want to get into a 50" something balsa plane, this is about as cheap you're going to get away with. Learn from my mistakes and don't try to save on the servos. Of course you can take the HobbyKing route, but without being a HK basher (others do that so much better than me), I'd strongly discourage you from that. The reason is that even a "tame" plane like the Sabre X is going to put a lot of strain on the components, and the HK stuff simply isn't built for that. I'm sure it works fine in sport planes, but I've learned the hard way first hand that 3D is a whole different ball game.

I hope this helps and I think you'd like the Sabre X.

Last edited by a moderator:
I couldn't agree more! Nice summary NJSwede. For the money, it's about the most inexpensive 50" 3d airframe available and can handle most all 3d manuvers that you can throw at it. Is it build light, yes, but most 3d airframes are. Go for it guys!

I posted this over on the "other" forum site, but I am going to attempt to do a gasser coversion on this plane. Plane arrives on Monday, and after that I will have to do a evaluation on how to rig up the firewall as that will be the biggest challenge. He is the equipment list

Evolution 10GX
Tech Aero IBEC
4rtitude 8oz tank
5x Solar D658s (might have to do something else on throttle. I have a selection of laying around servos)
1100 mah LiFe
AR8000 with telemetry (motor comes with a RPM sensor, cool)
13x6 APC prop in the end.

Since the engine maxes out under 7lbs of thrust I will need to keep it in the 4lb range to have decent 3D performance. This is why I picked this plane as it has a lot of wing and fuse area to work with. I have to finish up the EF 88" Edge first, but that is close to done.

SnowDog

It will be interesting to see how that Evolution 10cc works out on this build. It seems like it would be too heavy, so I'll be interested to see how this works out.!

njswede

150cc
Maybe I'm biased because I have a fond relationship with this plane, but I find that gasser project extremely interesting. I can't wait to see how it pans out!

It will certainly weight more than the electric setups. I did all the math a while back. I seem to remember about 8oz more. Also the gasser tends to put on weight via all the extra stuff you need. Since this canopy is so removable I will skip a fuel dot and maybe even a switch and just go to direct connect. Even my 30cc Slick came out on the heavy side compared to the electric one I had, so that is just a given for gassers below 50cc. This was the most viable way I saw to get true 3D performance out of this motor other than a profile. The big wing on this was the major factor for picking this one as it should be able to carry the weight.

I got somewhat along on this project over the weekend. I have some photos and notes and I will start a build thread once the merry go round slows down a bit. 0400 wake ups and me are not pals after a few days.

It will be a little heavier than I would like and I am not to the point where I can try to balance it yet, but the gasser conversion bit is done. Just have to assemble the ARF.

I will also try to make a short video showing the gasser conversion.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I got somewhat along on this project over the weekend. I have some photos and notes and I will start a build thread once the merry go round slows down a bit. 0400 wake ups and me are not pals after a few days.

It will be a little heavier than I would like and I am not to the point where I can try to balance it yet, but the gasser conversion bit is done. Just have to assemble the ARF.

I will also try to make a short video showing the gasser conversion.

Very much looking forward to this! Sorry about the 0400's... Be there before :)