• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

VVRC 40cc Twin

HELLFIRE

30cc
I used to have the same hard starting issues till i put a thick glove on and give the prop a good slap thru compression. It usually only takes 2-3 flips on choke to get it to pop then another 2-4 flips and its running. Everytime since I started flipping(slapping the prop) thru with authority!! This little engine needs more speed to hand start it than a typical flip!! FYI my engine only has 4 flights on it!! Starts easy with this procedure!! Use a thick insulated winter work glove and slap away!!

Patroller

70cc twin V2
I will give that a try next time I am out. I have been working under my theory that it's a fuel issue. That is after watching how VV starts it in a video, that the carb does not draw fuel quite as well or like other engines this size when starting. That is after it pops with the choke it tends to go dry very quickly after choke is off. That is why VV bumps against the compression a couple of times again after taking the choke off. I have never seen anyone else do this before.

Of note it is never hard to get it to pop with the choke on.

HELLFIRE

30cc
Patroller;18101 wrote: I will give that a try next time I am out. I have been working under my theory that it's a fuel issue. That is after watching how VV starts it in a video, that the carb does not draw fuel quite as well or like other engines this size when starting. That is after it pops with the choke it tends to go dry very quickly after choke is off. That is why VV bumps against the compression a couple of times again after taking the choke off. I have never seen anyone else do this before.

Of note it is never hard to get it to pop with the choke on.
I honestly had the same issues. It was until I got mad and basically in anger bitch slapped the prop thru compression and it fired immediately. I knew it was all about the speed of the flip!! It works everytime now!! I have zero issues getting it started now and it will only get better as I burn more fuel!! Just put on a heavy glove and slap it tru like you mean it!! speed is everything!!

HELLFIRE

30cc
Patroller;18105 wrote: I like it, the Valley View Bitch Slap. thats VVBS for short. :smile-new:

LOLOLOL hey whatever works!!! :nodding-yes-by-a-veMy shoulder was sore from flipping this little monster trying to get it started the first time!!

O

Ohio AV8TOR

So when you guys are doing the VVBS to start your motor what position is the prop, is it still in the 2 o'clock flip position? In one of the early videos that hone1er (Joe) did flying his 78" Extra with a VVRc 40 in it he slapped down on the left side of the prop.

hone

150cc
Ohio AV8TOR;18124 wrote: So when you guys are doing the VVBS to start your motor what position is the prop, is it still in the 2 o'clock flip position? In one of the early videos that hone1er (Joe) did flying his 78" Extra with a VVRc 40 in it he slapped down on the left side of the prop.
Hey Ray,

Main reason I had my prop clocked that way is because I'm left handed and couldn't flip it fast enough with my right.

I had to set it so I could slap the prop with my left hand.

On all my other engines I just set it at 2 o'clock and do my normal flip with my right hand.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
hey guys, what's up with the two different versions of the engine? is it just that some people prefer one spark plug over the other?
just wondering, thanks.

BarracudaHockey

70cc twin V2
Some folks prefer CM6 plugs but the small plug version fits in several cowls, like my avatar, completely enclosed, where the CM6 version, which is like an inch wider, would not.