• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Wanted: 3DHS Balsa ARF for Parkflying

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
I'm not sure where else to ask this and I'm not sure if anyone at 3DHS is going to see this. I have done some research recently and found that there are only 8, can you believe that, only 8 sub 20 oz "quality" balsa ARFs that can be purchased here in the USA. No wonder foam is so popular. :facepalm:

I am a big fan of 3DHS planes and their quality designs and builds and I am wishing that 3DHS can design and sell a balsa ARF with a wingspan of about 35" and an AUW of no more that 15 oz. I'd like to see them tailor it to a 3s 800 mAh battery.

I'm sure there will be a lot of people would prefer a quality built and great flying balsa parkflyer over the foam planes that are out there on the market today. I think since quality flying balsa planes only come in kits, many people shy away from them do to the fact that they have to build them.

So how about it 3DHS? Have you considered something along these lines?

Thanks,

Frank

B

Blucor Basher

Frank -

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, we're interesting in every single size of airplane, including under 1lb. balsa. We have built a few prototypes in that size range, but we don't have anything close to production at the moment.

You are correct that foam is easier and more popular in this size range. A few notable problems include the lack of ultra-lightweight covering films that can be used in a production environment, and the scaling issue for servos to get the speed range we want...but every problem has a solution. We'll keep working on it.

Thanks again!

Frank -

Thanks for the kind words! Yes, we're interesting in every single size of airplane, including under 1lb. balsa. We have built a few prototypes in that size range, but we don't have anything close to production at the moment.

You are correct that foam is easier and more popular in this size range. A few notable problems include the lack of ultra-lightweight covering films that can be used in a production environment, and the scaling issue for servos to get the speed range we want...but every problem has a solution. We'll keep working on it.

Thanks again!

Wahoo! :)

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Frank -

Thanks again!

Appreciate you taking the time to respond and I sure hope you guys can figure out the production aspect on this venture. I know it is a little easier for the ones and twos model builders such as myself and others. We use Solarfilm on our 10 oz and above models and So-Lite on models that weigh less than that. But that covering is a little more pricey I;m sure and may be hard to come by in production quantities.

I'll keep an eye out and if you ever do decide to market something like this I have to believe that you'll make a "killing."

Thanks again!

Frank

PS I am digging that name: Backyard Balsa. Sounds like a great name for a club.

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
i wonder if the covering issue could be solved by selling it as an almost ready to cover (ARC) instead of arf. i know in the past that hasnt been offered due to the lack of sales. but if someone wants to do something this small in balsa i hope they would be knowledgable enough to be able to cover it

Vintauri

50cc
I'd be all over a balsa plane from 3DHS in this size. Just finished up a 58" edge to fill a gap between the 40" range and the 70" range. Going smaller would be sweet for lunchtime fun at work!

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
While we await 3DHS's newest plane (we hope) here is a little something I came up with.

Wondering what the best balsa ARF is? We are going to find out. I have a great idea for a fly off of balsa ARFs to see which one is the best built, best flying and overall best quality balsa ARF on the market today. We are going to start with balsa ARFs in the 10-19 ounce range. Will expand to other sizes after this one. Right now I know of 6 ARFs in that category but we are looking to see if there are any more of them. This should be fun. I will post the planes that we find and will be doing the Dem/Val and then will need some volunteers to help and provide input on these airplanes. It may go pretty easy if some folks have them already, or it will take a little longer if purchases have to be made. Stand by for news and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

And to answer the "Why?" right now. I guess the simple answer is "Because we can." :) Actually I think it will be fun and will be nice to see what bird ranks on top of all the others in this category.

Frank