• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Wendell Hostetler 30% Piper Cherokee Glass Fuselage Build.

TonyHallo

150cc
The Champ came in at 39 pounds, has a wing area of 2800 sq.in., the cubic loading 7.28. I had trouble early on that I thought was due weight however the problem actually ended up being lack of sufficient down and right thrust.
The first 30% Cherokee came in at 30 pounds with an area 2000 sq. in., cubic loading 9.3. For it's short life span it flew in every possible attitude.
From other 1/3 scale Taylorcraft builds I'm seeing 30 to 36 pounds with reports of good flying habits. From what I can deduce your cord is somewhere near 16" giving and area 1800 Sq. in., 33 pounds yields a cubic loading of 12. What are estimating your final weight to be?
Check out the 100 page JTEC 1/3 scale build elsewhere on the web. There is local fellow that posts there and his is 33 pound. I can reach out to him if you would some first hand discussion if you like.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The Champ came in at 39 pounds, has a wing area of 2800 sq.in., the cubic loading 7.28. I had trouble early on that I thought was due weight however the problem actually ended up being lack of sufficient down and right thrust.
The first 30% Cherokee came in at 30 pounds with an area 2000 sq. in., cubic loading 9.3. For it's short life span it flew in every possible attitude.
From other 1/3 scale Taylorcraft builds I'm seeing 30 to 36 pounds with reports of good flying habits. From what I can deduce your cord is somewhere near 16" giving and area 1800 Sq. in., 33 pounds yields a cubic loading of 12. What are estimating your final weight to be?
Check out the 100 page JTEC 1/3 scale build elsewhere on the web. There is local fellow that posts there and his is 33 pound. I can reach out to him if you would some first hand discussion if you like.
Thanks really appreciate that.
the Taylorcraf that I am presently building is 2016 sq-in. And it looks like it will come out at about 40lbs. With a W.Q.L of around 12.2 which is concerning me, and 40lbs with a 120 is also high. Or am not accustom to scaLee planes.
thanks for the help and advice.

TonyHallo

150cc
Was putting some final color coat on the yoke and the paint lifted, darn rattle cans. Rather than try to sand the wrinkles I soaked it in acetone and wiped off all the paint and primer. I wasn't happy with the center section so that is changed now. It is closer to scale now. Still have a few details to add, once complete I plan to make a multi-part mold and lay up yokes.
Working on the remainder of the plugs, have the final color coat on the stabalator skin plug. Found the best way to sand the corrugations was using Scotbrite pads. Much faster and better than sandpaper. The stab tip plug is just about ready for color coat and the wing tip plug is glassed and ready to prime. Painting indoors with rattle cans has slowed the progress but hey moving forward.

IMG_3004.jpg
IMG_3020.jpg
IMG_3021.jpg

TonyHallo

150cc
Put the color to the rudder plug this morning. Two down, three to go excluding the yoke. I think the stab tip will be ready to paint this weekend, the wing tips need a lot of work yet. Would like to have the molds completed by end of the month so that I can devote my time to Champ wings and have everything ready for paint by the end of March. Let's see, Cherokee fuselage plug, BUSA Super Cub fuselage and parts, two Champ wings an ailerons, will be a busy April in the makeshift spray booth.
One of the clubs I belong to is hosting the NASA fall classic in September, I need something to fly, will be my first attempt.

IMG_3022.jpg

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
I have a MicroMesh kit. 1000-12,000 grit sandpaper then liquid abrasive sanding. I use the kit with painted classic pattern airplanes.

TonyHallo

150cc
Learned something new today, never heard of MicroMesh before. The grit numbering does not appear to align with convention used on regular sandpaper. On one offering it was stated that 1500 is similar in grit range to conventional 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper. No reference was made for the other grits.
I picked up 2000 and 2500 at the local autobody supply and found 3000 and 5000 grit soft touch pads at Auto Zone. The 3000 and 5000 barely remove any material, no apparent color was on the sanding pad. One final hand buff with McGuiars Diamond Cut and the plug was ready for wax. Put 8 coats of wax on yesterday and will finish the last two this morning then spray the PVA on. The rudder has air dried for two days so that will get sanded and buffed as well. Tomorrow I can sand and buff the stab tip. Started waxing the parting boards, wax on, wax off.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
The numbers do not align with conventional numbers but it is a great little kit. 2000+ is pretty fine in any application.

TonyHallo

150cc
I sanded all the orange peel and defects with 1500, then the rest of the paper goes fast to 5000. In this photo I got in a hurry and put the first coat of wax on before rubbing with Diamond Cut. It has plenty of shine. You can see each LED in the shop light.
Got the black tooling coat on the stab plug. Going to a chile cook off this afternoon, might get some glass on later today.

IMG_3029.jpg