• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

What is the best method for hinging controls?

gyro

GSN Contributor
won't epoxy work just as well on foam, EPP, and balsa?

Epoxy is what I would use, per Rex's comments above about GG not being structurally sound in gaps.

What about epoxy and depron Mike? I'm not familiar with would happen...

njswede

150cc
Epoxy is definitely OK on Depron! Medium and thick CA should be fine too, but you may want to try it on a scrap piece.

Gorilla glue may not be the best choice for your hinges. There was a discussion on RCG in January regarding GG. Someone contacted the manufacturer directly, but it was more of a question regarding the strength of the white versus brown. Their response was interesting.

"Gorilla Glue Dries White gains strength faster and is ultimately the same strength when fully cured as the original Gorilla Glue (brown). When we developed the dries white formula, we did a lot of testing to ensure that we maintained the strength properties of the glue - it is just a bit faster when it cures. With both formula’s, there is no strength in the foam that squeezes out. The white foam is softer than the original squeeze out. There is no strength in this foam for either glue. Gorilla Glue is meant to be used between two tight fitting pieces; so tight that the glue expands into the pores of the substrates and the glue line is basically invisible. This is what makes the bond so strong. It cannot be used as a filler or a sealer. It will fill any gaps or voids but it only does this cosmetically and not structurally since there is no strength in the foam. Gorilla Glue and Gorilla Glue Dries White formulas will work on non-porous surfaces, such as metals or glass, but we do recommend lightly scratching up the non-porous surfaces first with some sand paper where the glue will be. This will give a texture to the surface and it gives the glue something to hold on to."

This is good to know, as I'm abut to hinge my elevator halves on my 74" Edge in the next couple of days. I was under the impression that GG was the best for robart hinges, but I think I'll be switching to 30 min epoxy. I already have the rudder hinged with GG, maybe it'll be ok.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I just hinged my 72" Extra rudder and elevators last night. I used 15 min epoxy , and everything went well.
I haven't used GG for the hinges, but the epoxy seems to work fine for me, and they seem really solid.