• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

What is the max number of channels generally needed for giant scale?

Bbcorvette18

70cc twin V2
I run my 35% on a dx 9. Only problem is if I want to put smoke on it I'll have to run match boxes to free up a channel or two instead of using the 4 separate aileron inputs. Considering I prefer the simplicity of less things to go wrong and smoke really just adds weight for a small cool factor I doubt I will add smoke unless one day I decide to upgrade to an 18.

So let's say I am doing a gasser and have 4 aileron servos, 2 elevator servos, rudder throttle, kill, and smoke. (Am I missing anything?)
If I run servo per Rx channel, that is 10 channels, so one short on a 9 ch Tx.
But if I run one of the bus systems, how many Rc channels would I need?

you could use a XG6 using nothing but Xbus. 1 channel for 4 ailerons with a 4 port converter. 1 channel for both elevators, 2 port converter or use a 4 port and program rudder to run on rudder channel. Throttle, ignition kill, and smoke will also be on 1 converter that is 4 port. Not sure what programming options are on the XG6 though but I suspect minimal mixing, programming etc. My suggestion would be get the 14. it is a radio that can grow with you for the price.

Bbcorvette18

70cc twin V2
If you use matchboxes on the ailerons you'll free up 2 channels on the 9. And have one to spar. If my understanding of how they works is correct any way. 1 matchbox for each wing

I tried to look up some info on Matchbox, but I didn't find a whole lot. How is using a JR matchbox different than using something like one of the bus protocols? Does the Matchbox let you mix different servo brands in the same system (maybe one brand for the throttle and another brand for ailerons)?

Do I understand it correctly that, using the 7 Channel example above, if I used 2 Matchboxes (one fore aileron and one for elevator) that I would only use 5 channels on the transmitter?