• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

What's on your bench?

Aerosi

30cc
I've thought about that Mintor 22 for my Jug as well! LOVE the way it looks, and the numbers look right. I'd be curious to see how that would perform in the P-47...I bet it would scream :D :D

SteveT.

100cc
I don't know about a 22CC gas engine in a Velox (or other 22CC size plane)....other than flight time, it seems I would be defeating my purpose of putting the motor that I put in mine as far as power goes.... Here are the specs from the maiden flight....

Volts.... Max 25, Avg. 23.5, min. 20.3
Ripple...max. 1.37, avg. .57
Amps....max 110.9 avg. 16.5
watts.....max 2446, avg 371
rpm.......max 8057 avg 2556...

745.6 equals one horsepower, so, I am getting 3.2 horsepower, and....a Mintor swings a 17X6 Menz prop at a max of 8800 rpm.... my Hacker A60-5XS swings a Xoar 18X10 at 8057 (max)....but of course I can't fly as long....but that is not a problem for me, as I usually set my timer at five minutes on all my planes....

SteveT

Last edited by a moderator:

SnowDog

It's all about flight times Steve...I know of at least six people who have installed a Mintor 22 in a Velox 68 or 70 and they all report amazing results and long flight times.
Sounds like a perfect match for airframe and powerplant from what I've heard.
Of course, if you only want to fly for five minutes at a time, then a gasser wouldn't make sense for you.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I bet mine does "awesomer" with a 3.2 horsepower electric!! :D :D :D Just not for as long....

SteveT

Well maybe... or maybe not. Your larger electric set up might weigh more than a lighter 20cc gas setup, and as such it might not perform some of the low/slow 3d manuevers (IRRC what the Velox was designed for) as well. Yeah, your high energy stuff might be better with the extra weight, but using a short tail moment aircraft on high speed stuff scares me! It's probably why I crashed my first Velox (48") at the beginning of this year.

-G

SteveT.

100cc
Well maybe... or maybe not. Your larger electric set up might weigh more than a lighter 20cc gas setup, and as such it might not perform some of the low/slow 3d manuevers (IRRC what the Velox was designed for) as well. Yeah, your high energy stuff might be better with the extra weight, but using a short tail moment aircraft on high speed stuff scares me! It's probably why I crashed my first Velox (48") at the beginning of this year.

-G

Right now my Velox weighs 9.2 pounds, but I am having a new extension box laser cut, which will be lighter than my aluminum mount. And, I have already found that my plane is tail heavy, so I can remove some of the lead I have back there, which means it will be going on a diet real soon...

I am also turning a larger prop as basically the same RPM as the gas engine....so much more thrust...and right now, it pulls out of a hover with no problems at all...

SteveT

Last edited by a moderator: