• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Where should build and assembly threads be? POLL, please vote!

Should build and assembly threads be together or in their dedicated Sub-forums?

• Together in one build/assembly area

Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Separated out into the individual sub-forums

Votes: 17 65.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bluepilot2003

70cc twin V2
I think they should all be together in one forum so it is easier to go through them and find building techniques that will help you out no matter what kind of build you are doing. They are all models and techniques from one type of build can work in pretty much any other.

Robotech

70cc twin V2
Parsing the difference between what some consider a "build" or an "assembly" is not a good reason to divide or sub-divide a forum.

Alky6

150cc
I am indifferent. I really enjoy the building, but I have also learned a ton of techniques from the ARF assembly threads as well - but I am a relative noob to the airplane world so tend to be more like a dry sponge...LOL

Typically, by the title of the thread, I am mostly able to determine what type of build it is, but that doesn't solve the issue of trying to go and search out build only. Maybe it is as simple as adding another button (IMAC, SCALE, 3D, Etc.) like Build or Assembly to refine a search criteria?

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
the trend in social media is towards hyper specific groupings where people can get immediate feedback by people that are doing near identical activities. facebook wreaks of this! :(

a forum site like GiantScaleNews.com can either mimic that behavior by breaking everything down into increasingly smaller and specific groupings or encourage people to branch out and learn new stuff by letting overlap happen where people with different interests will interact and see each others' work.

like i said, it's complicated!

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Here is what I am talking about described,
I am going to do a jet build, from creating molds, to glassing, and the such. I log on, scroll to the jet section and click "Jets>>>Aircraft, Techniques, Equipment, etc.", then click on "Post new thread" at this time an "assembly or build" tab has to be chosen and of course I click build. Once this step is complete a link to this build is in the "Building boards" for any builder to see. So now I just go to building boards and I see this jet build, I click on it and am taken to the build thread in "Jets". This single step would make all builds visible from one single location.

Like most of you guys I am here because I love the site as is. It is very simple to navigate, uploads are real nice, the people are great, and pretty much none of the BS on every other site. Larry B just posted on the "Where's the builds" thread and is a perfect example of why I would like the build link. Other than the link I don't want to see anything changed either.

Quite frankly Bart this statement from above,
"encourage people to branch out and learn new stuff by letting overlap happen where people with different interests will interact and see each others' work." would be a side effect of the build tab. Anyone that goes to the build boards would be exposed to all facets of the hobby without having gone looking.

Last edited: