• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Why do you love this hobby?

doublea

100cc
I truly hope you do re-connect. I have two sons now getting in their 30's and I am a "back burner" dad. Was always close to my mother and father and believe it or not THREE SISTERS!!! Aughhhhhhhhhh!

I promise you. If you try again to find what they take interest in and spend time doing what they enjoy. You may find that you are not so much of the back burner dad.
I used to go to my dad's house all the time. I started to notice that he was not spending but like maybe 30 minutes to an hour at mine. I am not very far from him, maybe 20 minutes. I used to make a trip to his house almost every weekend. He has some friends that come over almost every weekend. It seems that that is his life. That is fine. I expect him too. But I am just saying that one as a father needs to find a way to really do something that there children like to really connect. That goes for any age.

Just my two cents. I know it would mean the world to me.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I promise you. If you try again to find what they take interest in and spend time doing what they enjoy. You may find that you are not so much of the back burner dad.
I used to go to my dad's house all the time. I started to notice that he was not spending but like maybe 30 minutes to an hour at mine. I am not very far from him, maybe 20 minutes. I used to make a trip to his house almost every weekend. He has some friends that come over almost every weekend. It seems that that is his life. That is fine. I expect him too. But I am just saying that one as a father needs to find a way to really do something that there children like to really connect. That goes for any age.

Just my two cents. I know it would mean the world to me.

Life just gets in the way for a lot of families. I does not mean you or me, fathers or sons (or daughters!) Love or are loved any less. The hobby or interest off was a common interest of both of us. Now both my sons at first had a little interest only because I did. People change for better or worse. Simple. We are "individuals". Focus on the good "work on the bad" is all we can do.
My Father and I spent very little time together but what time we did spend was THE BEST OF TIMES.

doublea

100cc
Life just gets in the way for a lot of families. I does not mean you or me, fathers or sons (or daughters!) Love or are loved any less. The hobby or interest off was a common interest of both of us. Now both my sons at first had a little interest only because I did. People change for better or worse. Simple. We are "individuals". Focus on the good "work on the bad" is all we can do.
My Father and I spent very little time together but what time we did spend was THE BEST OF TIMES.
I couldn't agree more.

Simon

30cc
For me
it was a move to a small village and then I started school
the woodwork teacher ran a class mid week in the evening building and a Saturday club flying controline planes
first time I started a little diesel motor that was it
started to save for a sabre 1.5 cc and then PAW came out all shinny
dam still have it,man them things bit lol
was 11 , 37 years later its a great big petrol but still the same buz as ever for me :)

Flying cox CL models and later building CL models and model rockets with my brothers and Dad. This led to my now adult son having the same interest when he was a child. When we get together to fly or spend time at an event like Joe Nall it is truly priceless! Of course since getting into RC 12 years ago I've made some of the closest friends I have ever had so that is definately icing on the cake!:)

Billy J

50cc
granddad and his father has been doing this for years back ! growing up I always had wanted one / one day I made grandpa take a trainer down at 8 years old, and yes he went out and crashed it. Then we started buying and collecting and enjoying time building and arguing is the most fun part of the game! we have been side by side splitting the cost of these things
boo.jpg
devon.jpg
1/2 and 1/2 cause he knows I will sell them all !!!! 78 years young and on O2 now forever , its killing him not being able to go in the shop to help finish his BUSA Cub and Z P51 We now both pass all of our help to my sons to keep things rolling around the shop !!! I wouldn't trade this hobby for nothing else in the world!!! Live ever second possible with your kids and Family and friends / cause u never know when it can B taken from you!!! God Bless All / Happy flying

Billy J

It started with a ride in a Cessna 170, owned by a neighbor friend of my dad. That was about 1960, I was 5, and instantly fell in Love with aviation.

My dad had flown CL when he was a kid. I loved to hear him tell stories about the old Ohlson's, Johnsons', and other ignition engines, all somehow bolted to the front of a Walker Fireball.

Moving forward about a year or so, dad decided I was old enough to shut up and start in this hobby with him as my mentor. A birthday present of a slab winged, slab fuselage CL trainer with a K&B .29 greenhead up front was enough to get me hooked. No plastic crap for this fella, no sir. 60' lines and hang on! I learned a lot, and it was soon on to a Flite Streak, followed quickly by a Nobler, all built by both of us.

Then this fella moved in across the street from us.... Had an old Veco White Cloud with a F&M 3 channel propo in it. Dad got the bug for RC (which since he was a HAM anyway, was a natural move up). Soon we were building a Top Flite Schoolmaster loaded with second hand single channel gear, a royal super-het receiver, royal servo, and a Citizenship Mule single channel. Yep it flew. Had a cox medallion .049 on it and taught us a lot of lessons... Then along came High school, girls, cars, etc. I took a few years off, but still had the CL planes hanging in the basement. Before long, the bug came back, and a Sig Kommander with a 40 and Futaba 4 channel had me back in the air. Now, there's a basement full of started but unfinished projects, a couple of foamies, some big stuff, some small stuff, a general mess.

Dad is now 83, and i'm 60. Work and a career took him away from modeling many years ago. I visited him last week and we laughed about how I still liked to play with my toy airplanes, but I noticed a smile when I mentioned that I did have a couple of slow easy electric gliders that i'm sure he could handle. I think it's time to return the favor and get him back out to the flying field.

Love you Dad!

sweetpea

100cc
I was introduced to RC offroad 1/10 electric truck racing back in 97. I had always wanted to fly but never got lessons or anything. I raced electric offroad buggies and trucks for years and then moved to asphalt and carpet electrics. Got rather good, but not outstanding. then in 2000 I moved to Texas and the LHS had a retired Col from the Army owner. He was mostly airplanes but let me order RC car parts. Eventually he made me a deal on a used plane and radio and said he'd teach me for free. I solo'd after just a couple flights and never looked back. Also gave up RC cars a few years later and went planes only.