• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Why Only Big Planes?

3DMad5

50cc
I've been on this forum for just over a year and a half, and into 3D flying for about two years now. From almost ritualistic forum surfing, it has struck me that the amount of new 40-60 inch balsa 3D planes to come out in that time from the big names is, well, 0. Or pretty close to that. I see new threads every two weeks about a new 30cc or 50cc bird being released, but these planes are waaayyyyy too big for me given my current skill and financial limitations. Why aren't manufacturers developing smaller planes for people like me?

There have been some. In past year Extreme flight has released a 60" Laser, a 48" Yak 54, and a 60" Yak 54 is coming soon.

3DHS is working on a 60" Yak 55.

Precision Aerobatics is releasing models in that size.

Hangar 9 came out with a Sbach, granted it is heavy and not a 3D monster.

Great planes released the U Can Do SF.

OMP released a 60" electric Sbach I saw at Nall that looked nice.
http://www.ohiomodelplanes.com/e60sbach/index.htm

The smaller size planes represent a large amount of sales for them and they are more affordable. EF especially loves 60" models.

The larger planes means more profit potential and generally fly better. 30cc is very popular at the moment. Also a lot of these companies product lines mostly start at 30cc like Redwing, Aerobeez, EG, Aeroworks, etc.

rcdude07

70cc twin V2
Being a long time nitro burner here are my thoughts:

• Electric setups are most beneficial up to a .60 sized nitro powered plane (around that size). Nitro fuel is getting ridiculously expensive as well as the price of the engines, while electric setups are more cost effective. Smaller 20cc gas engines that fit nicely into .60 sized nitros are still relatively new to the market and are still very pricey.
  • Once past the .60 nitro sized birds, it's more efficient to run gasoline. 35cc, 50cc, etc... I think it's been found the happy medium for the average pilot is anything bigger than 50cc requires a bigger house, trailer, etc... Where as 30-50cc can still fit in the back of most SUVs with the seats folded down.
  • People who start in electrics with foamies are scared of balsa planes. So the market/demand for balsa planes is dying/stagnating. Also, the cost of balsa keeps going up, so it may not be as cost effective to offer a smaller sized plane given all the changes in the market in the last 5-10 years.

That's just my $0.02.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
I appreciate the insights expressed here. Here are some possibilities.

EF and 3dhs made their names on 48" to 60" airframes. The 48" planes are so affordable and are such a great chassis for 3s 2200 mah batteries (that everyone seems to have) that they have no shortage of sales in that size. As a result their product lines are really well developed in the smaller sizes. It is normal that they would slow down on smaller size model releases and work on developing the bigger ones more. Even the big plane sizes are slowing down quite a bit when you look at the history of the 3d capable airplanes.

A big flurry of activity in a totally new flying style doesnt come around that often and the "new" cant last forevor.

3DMad5

50cc
I appreciate the insights expressed here. Here are some possibilities.

EF and 3dhs made their names on 48" to 60" airframes. The 48" planes are so affordable and are such a great chassis for 3s 2200 mah batteries (that everyone seems to have) that they have no shortage of sales in that size. As a result their product lines are really well developed in the smaller sizes. It is normal that they would slow down on smaller size model releases and work on developing the bigger ones more. Even the big plane sizes are slowing down quite a bit when you look at the history of the 3d capable airplanes.

A big flurry of activity in a totally new flying style doesnt come around that often and the "new" cant last forevor.

Aahh, now this makes sense. Still, I didn't think 3D flying would be an area where a manufacturer could rest on their laurels, no matter what the size of aircraft.

3dNater

I agree about resting on laurels but the existing models keep getting upgrades and version changes. When the product is awesome you will likely see incremental improvements rather than major changes.

At Jersey 2 years ago, Ben went on about how long the 47 SHP has managed to stay in production. It is many versions later.

Other than the new 60" EF Yak, there is a lot of buzz about the new AJ 56" Laser 230Z.

Horizon seems to be favoring foam in the smaller size, and this is being driven by sales. Balsa is just not that in for the average hobby shop consumer.

rcbirk21

70cc twin V2
Aahh, now this makes sense. Still, I didn't think 3D flying would be an area where a manufacturer could rest on their laurels, no matter what the size of aircraft.

i think its important to realize these are not large companies, they have very limited resources as far as time. We just happen to be in a cycle right now where the smaller planes have recently been updated/introduced, and now we are seeing them catch up on the larger aircraft. Before this latest string for 3dhs, they had 2x 100cc airframes and 2x 50cc airframes. They had a large variety of the smaller stuff. But now with the 92 edge, 91 yak, 108 extra, and 106 edge, they are starting to get more balanced. I am sure we will start seeing updates/new airframes in other sizes in the near future.

3dNater

Yes, as [MENTION=807]rcbirk21[/MENTION] said you can see it going in cycles.

3DMad5

50cc
Thanks to everybody for your contributions. I guess I never thought it would be a cyclical sort of thing, but rather that everything got updated at around the same time.