• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

ZTW "B" Series 65A ESC

TMO

30cc
Dear Ryan,
The ZTW "auto" timing function applies to all multipole (>6) outrunners. The other settings are for low pole (like 6 w/ a kv in the 3000+ range DF motor), and 16 is for a 2 Pole inrunner. It has to do with the theoretical rpm limit of a motor driven by 3 phase. The ESC's internal refresh rate is 430hz. Meaning if you had a one pole motor (hah- just for giggles) you could spin it at 430,000 rpm. On a 2 pole motor you could go 215,000rpm. And so on. When you are using a typical 12 pole outrunner, the ESC is constantly maintaining phase synch with the motor. If you are using the timing advance on this type of motor, you are going to be hitting the motor with 2 or 3 pulses per phase- and all you are going to do is lose efficiency and generate heat.
Auto is best for all typical direct drive prop applications.

what do you guys have your timing set on this esc? its in degrees

Don't know what motor you've got, but I've found AUTO to work very well with my Hacker 28 pole motors (a pair of A60-7s V2 on 10s). Hacker recommends 25°, and I tested the ZTW ESC fixed timing settings of both 20° and 30°. Didn't see a gnats eyelash hair of difference in performance on the Watt's Up power meter, so I went with the AUTO timing.

ryan_m

100cc
Dear Ryan,
The ZTW "auto" timing function applies to all multipole (>6) outrunners. The other settings are for low pole (like 6 w/ a kv in the 3000+ range DF motor), and 16 is for a 2 Pole inrunner. It has to do with the theoretical rpm limit of a motor driven by 3 phase. The ESC's internal refresh rate is 430hz. Meaning if you had a one pole motor (hah- just for giggles) you could spin it at 430,000 rpm. On a 2 pole motor you could go 215,000rpm. And so on. When you are using a typical 12 pole outrunner, the ESC is constantly maintaining phase synch with the motor. If you are using the timing advance on this type of motor, you are going to be hitting the motor with 2 or 3 pulses per phase- and all you are going to do is lose efficiency and generate heat.
Auto is best for all typical direct drive prop applications.

Good to know! I've always left all my ZTW's on auto, and they have been perfect.
For Castle ESC's not so much, there I've heard many say that larger motors should be at lower timing, and smaller ones (under 10oz or so) should be default, which is medium I think. No idea what that translates too in degree terms. But Castle doesn't have an 'auto' either, other than possibly outrunner mode. No idea if that logic is sound or not on the Castle ESC's, but it has worked quite well for me.

wedoitall

this is the ZTW B series programming instructions.

Attachments

• B-Serise Air ESC User Manual.pdf
    5.4 MB · Views: 333

TMO

30cc
Yes, my experience is similar. Part of the confusion is the definition of "timing", and it's hard not to conceive of it in terms of the old can motors' rotating endbell. The ZTW definition is a function of refresh rate, and in effect, throttle controls the degree of "advance" to modulate rpm, the load drawing as much current as it needs to maintain synch. The ideal linear throttle under this design has one power pulse per phase. This is acheived on outrunners typically using the auto setting. It corresponds to what we used to call in the early days of AXI and Jeti - "hard timing".

Castle's approach historically has been to to induce a curve like a throttle curve you would program into a heli. Under this approach, the throttle channel is a bit non-linear- with good rpm modulation at lower rpm (to help maintain synch in on/off throttle situations), but seemingly a flatter curve above 75%. Castle's definition of "timing" is a bit different: by programming you can affect this curve (or try to offset it in your radio as most do). The issue of two pole or low pole/high rpm motors is handled in the programming of the logic chip via the castle link. If you really know what you're doing and can trust it all the time-then the Castle approach is really "the best". But the sheer simplicity of the ZTW approach is also it's attractiveness in models where we don't want to mess around too much.

Last edited by a moderator: