• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

ZTW Gecko vs Castle Creations

Bushwacker

3DRCF Moderator
[MENTION=3822]Xpress[/MENTION] very nicely done sir. Thank you for such great info bro. This really helps me out a ton. Im no stranger to the $$$ I used to run a KONTRONIK Kosmik 200 HV and a Pyro 800-480 in my Goblin 770 and as you know those freaking things are not cheap. Performance is undeniable though and a perfect match. Should have never sold that one. Anyway back on topic. How was the temp running on that setup? Guessing pretty good if it's running that efficient and how would you compare the power against a Motrolfly? Last thing, what if you had put a carbon fiber Falcon prop on there any benefit there? Again thanks much for the great info.

Xpress

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
[MENTION=3822]Xpress[/MENTION] very nicely done sir. Thank you for such great info bro. This really helps me out a ton. Im no stranger to the $$$ I used to run a KONTRONIK Kosmik 200 HV and a Pyro 800-480 in my Goblin 770 and as you know those freaking things are not cheap. Performance is undeniable though and a perfect match. Should have never sold that one. Anyway back on topic. How was the temp running on that setup? Guessing pretty good if it's running that efficient and how would you compare the power against a Motrolfly? Last thing, what if you had put a carbon fiber Falcon prop on there any benefit there? Again thanks much for the great info.

Temperatures: The motor I measured to be at a peak of about 145 *F before I added a baffle. Never saw it much higher than about 135*F after that, and that's doing a lot of high alpha shenanigans. I do not know what in flight temps were, these were taken on the ground directly after the flight, though I'm sure the motor temps were lower with much higher forward speed. These temps were measured at both the stator, and the rotor. The ESC I never saw it above 85*F. My setup was only drawing about 76 amps peak WOT static, so it's nowhere near the ESC's limitations. Batteries were about 90*F even on a hot day, and that's with zero cooling airflow over them. Hacker states the A60-18L can handle up to about 150*F but other that and you can start to hurt it.

Power: This is the only large outrunner I have, I have nothing else to compare it to. Fresh off the ground it would hover my 17lb Yak at about 1/2 throttle, but further in the flight and I'd need to use more like 3/4. Still had power to pull out.

Propeller: The only company that makes a 24x12 propeller is APC or Xoar, and the 24x12 is the best possible propeller to use with this setup. A smaller propeller would kill thrust, a larger would kill efficiency. It was a very delicate balance getting the right prop dialed in to ensure the setup was as efficient as possible and powerful enough for 3D shenanigans (or so I'm told, I based my setup off of a couple guys that spent years developing the perfect system based on the A60-18L- all I did was buy the right parts and fly it LOL).

Last edited by a moderator: