• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Carbon Fiber creations for giant scale !

C-C-Carbon_Chemist

New to GSN!
Seiko-mount.jpg
GMTobyJetero.jpg
Airscoop01.jpg
Airscoop02.jpg
Airscoop03.jpg
Airscoop07.jpg
Hello all,

I want to thank everyone for the warm welcome as I joined the site yesterday. I will start off by posting a few items of my past work with carbon fiber and then some of my current projects.

Here is a photo from a few years ago in which I made a light-ply laminate with carbon 2x2 weave for a Seiko servo in a CARF super Xtra.

Remember the stupid little drama that arose over some of the first Futaba receivers overheating and shutting off? ....fixed that with this little air vent. LOL

GM

Last edited:

C-C-Carbon_Chemist

New to GSN!
photo(61).jpg

photo(60).jpg

My current project however took a new turn in composites....when I was working on the plane pictured above I realized that I would not have nice carbon wheel pants to accompany it. They seem to be hard to come by and are not easy to make so I began trialing several methods to vacuum bag and or infuse them. First came the plug, then the molds....

GM

C-C-Carbon_Chemist

New to GSN!
carbn2.jpg
Carbn 1.jpg

The molds pictured above are not the ones I ended up using as I had to modify them after trial and error. The wheel pants will have a more streamlined and teardrop shape to them than many that come with today's kits and I will use 2x2 or even 4x4 twill fabric. I hope the new molds can last long enough to make wheel pants for all my planes and any other members here who would might like some for their 35-40% planes.

I understand this is a build-forum so, will start a new thread in the vendor's section soon so I can post updates and picture of the finished wheel pants.

GM

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
View attachment 26655 View attachment 26656

The molds pictured above are not the ones I ended up using as I had to modify them after trial and error. The wheel pants will have a more streamlined and teardrop shape to them than many that come with today's kits and I will use 2x2 or even 4x4 twill fabric. I hope the new molds can last long enough to make wheel pants for all my planes and any other members here who would might like some for their 35-40% planes.

I understand this is a build-forum so, will start a new thread in the vendor's section soon so I can post updates and picture of the finished wheel pants.

GM
Very cool! I have a set of carbon fiber pants on my Areoworks Extra and I really like the look.

Alky6

150cc
Wow! Very, very impressive!! Really like the simple and elegant way to make the small vent.