• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

DLE 61 Muffler Bolts

I have a new DLE 61 that I can't keep the muffler tight on. I wanted to use nordlocks on the bolts but they are tapered and I didn't know how well they would work, I figured they would just deform in the hole when torqued. I tried to use blue locktite but it didn't work. On the first flight of less than four minutes the bolts backed out and I lost one. Does anyone have a solution to keep the bolts tight in this muffler and where can I get a replacement bolt with a tapered head? I am supposed to fly this plane at the Kennett Fly-in next weekend and now I'm in a bind. I can get 5mm bolts locally, but not with the tapered head. Here is a pic of the one stock bolt I have.

13705=7554-20140831_202001.jpg
13705=7554-20140831_202001.jpg

kork

70cc twin V2
I get all my bolts from Fastenal, they can find anything in less than 2 days.

Is it a aftermarket muff?

I have had good luck waiting a day or two with the locktite before starting the motor/ my 2c

kork;13824 wrote: I get all my bolts from Fastenal, they can find anything in less than 2 days.

Is it a aftermarket muff?

I have had good luck waiting a day or two with the locktite before starting the motor/ my 2c

It is the stock muffler. I'm going to fastenal tomorrow and see if they can match the bolt. If not, then I am going to try standard socket head cap screws and nordlocks to see how that works.

yakken;13827 wrote: Dont use a gasket

I did have the stock gasket in but have been told by several to use permatex copper gasket maker, so I'm going to try that this time. A friend that runs a lot of DLE's said to torque the muffler bolts down then run the engine up to operating temp and immediately retorque them. So I'll do that tomorrow too.

yakken

100cc
I always use gasket maker with stock bolts with lock washers. I tighten them pretty damn tight and never had one come loose.

Tankd

30cc
I use Loctite 510. Put around the flange of the motor then coat the bolts when installing with lock washers. Using a non ball end allen wrench and a small box in torque the heck outta the bolt. So far so good here....

Bhughes

70cc twin V2
Instead of running the motor up I just use a small tourche to head the motor up to running temps and tighten. A lot faster and easier then firing the motor up. Usualy get it done when putting the ARf together on the bench right off the get go.

I have to tune it tomorrow anyway. It's still on the stock needle settings and is rich on both top and bottom ends. I can just torque them then.