• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Newb to Aerobatic and 3D planes- Flyfly Groupe Tranchant Yak-54

DAHawk

New to GSN!
Was at a fly-in/fundraiser a couple of weekends ago in Oklahoma and won a couple of HK Yak-54's. Hobby King sponsored most of the raffle prizes. The one I will keep is the Groupe Tranchant. Fiberglass fuse with laser cut parts inside the cabin. Wings ,v-stab and h-stab are covered with alierons already hinged. 1385 WS with a flying weight of roughly 6lbs. Already have a 500KV motor and will get an 80amp esc. I need to add (4) 225 or 58g servos. Calls for 5S or 6S. I don't think it's sold anymore. The manual is one page.

I won't be attempting 3D, at least initially, as I know my own skill limitations and will adjust throws for basic aerobatic sport flying.

Anyone ever hear of this plane? I've never installed servos in a covered balsa plane before. Wish there was a better manual somewhere. I searched various groups and come up empty. Go to www.flyflyhobby.com and get the one-page version.

Thoughts or advice?

Thanks,

-Hawk

njswede

150cc
Hi Hawk! Good to see you here!

Here's a trick I use: Go to the one of the big brands, like 3DHS or EF and peek at their manuals for a similar plane. The procedure for installing servos, motor etc. should be similar. Or just post pictures of what puzzles you. Between the folks on this site, we've probably put together a few hundred or more ARFs... I'm interested in seeing how this comes out!

njswede

150cc
...and while you're on their site, please make sure to drool over their planes a bit. :tongue: After all, they deserve it for putting the manuals out there! :)

DAHawk

New to GSN!
Thanks Swede,

I figured it out just feeling around. I did buy an EMP 4260/06 500KV motor- 1300Watts, or so they say. Adding 80 amp esc w/ 6v BEC. Have not bought the servos yet. I think you mentioned you liked the turnigys. Gosh, the 225(deuce and a quarter ?) Hitecs cost an arm an a leg.
Looks like I shoud be using at least 38gram mini's or standard size. This plane is a hoss !

-Hawk

njswede

150cc
No idea, really, but they seem to be getting OK reviews. You know as well as I do that you're supposed to buy the best servos you can afford, but since this is a cheapo plane you got for free, why not experiment with some cheaper servos? Since you're not planning to do any crazy flying, my uneducated guess it that you'll be fine with the Coronas.

Also, have you looked at the Solar servos from HobbyPartz? They've gotten mixed reviews. Some people love them some hate them. Again, what could be a better testing platform than a plane you got for free?

In general, cheap servos have worked out well for me, but cheap motors have not. I've ruined the bearings in all my HobbyKing motors after less than a season of flying.