• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Servos: Metal Gear v. Plastic v. Digital

kdunlap

New to GSN!
Just wondering about your thoughts on servos. I have seen some comments on building the 3DHS aircraft that the plastic geared servos are best because they hold the control surfaces tightest because they have little play within the gears. MG servos seem to be favored where the air loads on the surfaces are highest. Being a non competitive pilot and addicted to 3DHS machines, do you see a big difference between metal, digital, and plastic geared servos? Or another way to say it, if I buy a 62" Osiris, can I live with HS-85MG?? Thanks.
Ken

Joe's Dad

70cc twin V2
Metal gears hold up better over the long run. Hold up better to rudder drags too.
Just don't touch the ground with plastic gear servos.
But Joe runs mostly MG servos.
Digitals too.

dskuro95

100cc
MG's are the way to go. They will last a lot longer. Also if you crash they are a lot less likely to break. If they do break it usually one one gear inside not 5!
I hope this helps!

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Metal gear is always the way to go IMHO, but I do have some HS-65HB's in my 3DHS 47" SHP that have taken a beating, not only in that plane but also a foamy. After two seasons of hard landings on the tail, ground loops (you get the picture), and everything else I can pull off at high speed in the air (which isn't much :p) with both planes, they are still tight in the gear box. I guess its worthy to note that they also haven't had hard impact on any given surface, with the exception of the rudder which is pull-pull. It is also my understanding that the HS-65 is kind of a bullet proof servo anyways, so this might not be true of some of the others out there by Hitec or any other manufacturer.

P.S. If my memory recalls, they also did a short stint on a 450 heli.

Maybe if I could fly like my hero Joe Smith, things might be different with these servos by now?

Last edited by a moderator: