• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 1/3 Scale Extra 330L Build.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Looking at the plane and the sheeting I have in hand I think I am going to split it in half and glue the sides first and then bend it over towards the center and then make glue joint down the center I believe this will be the easier way of doing it.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
What you need to do is make a pressure tank for forcing some water into the wood. I use, for most sizes, a piece of 4" pvc 4' long with a glue on cap on one end and a threaded cap on the other. The threaded cap has a fitting for the air hose and I will, depending on sheet thickness and how quick I want to get it wet, pressurize it from 60lb to 100lb. No matter the pressure it is sure better than just wiping the sheets down. This also helps a lot when trying to bend a curve into balsa and even more so with hardwood.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
That is very interesting never seen this done. All kinds of thoughts come to mind. Ok the first thought would be the front deck is done but the question is I have a sheet made up 12 by 15 inch how would you go about prepping this sheet forthe front deck.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Front turtle deck done next the rear turtle deck.

07FEF9BF-04D1-4634-BDF8-213A5AD77910.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
You know, when your wetting that to get it to bend down you can run your covering iron on high over it wet and it will make it bow.
I have used water and an iron to remove dents, never to bend wood but I will try to use it on the rear turtle deck. Thanks guys for all the tips and recommendations.

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
I have used water and an iron to remove dents, never to bend wood but I will try to use it on the rear turtle deck. Thanks guys for all the tips and recommendations.
It does the same in either, expands the outer surface of the wood. Another cool trick with water and the heat is a method of gluing I use when I sheet an airframe, especially wings. I apply an ultra thin layer of wood glue on both surfaces such as ribs and the sheeting where the ribs touch it, let dry to the touch, place the sheeting in position, spray the outer surface with water and using the highest heat iron the sheeting in place. The heat will reactivate the wood glue causing it to glue together and the steam the heat generates helps soften the wood for shaping. This works extremely well but I would advise trying it once on a test piece to get familiar with it.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
It does the same in either, expands the outer surface of the wood. Another cool trick with water and the heat is a method of gluing I use when I sheet an airframe, especially wings. I apply an ultra thin layer of wood glue on both surfaces such as ribs and the sheeting where the ribs touch it, let dry to the touch, place the sheeting in position, spray the outer surface with water and using the highest heat iron the sheeting in place. The heat will reactivate the wood glue causing it to glue together and the steam the heat generates helps soften the wood for shaping. This works extremely well but I would advise trying it once on a test piece to get familiar with it.
Some more stuff to remember and try you are a wealth of knowledge. Thank you.

Alky6

150cc
Beautiful Snoopy! Keep up the awesome work. FWIW, On the sheeting tight bends, I found if I place masking tape on the outside radius of the balsa, it tends not to crack when bending into place. Run tape perpendicular to grain. Almost like it holds the grains together to mitigate cracks.