• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 1/3 Scale Extra 330L Build.

It is what I would like it to be but reality does not always give us what we would like. I do not own 120 so I thought what the hell why not it is lighter than the 100 a little shorter but it is wider at the plugs. Still have measure cowl and see if it doable.
By the way hope everything is OK and glad to have you back.

120? wow mine was flying perfectly with a ZDZ 80cc twin, lol

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Awesome, that was the very first giant scale airplane I built , same kit, I really liked it a beautiful flying airplane
Thanks yes it is an old kit but just like to build and seeing kits are getting quite difficult to get will see how this one turns ont.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Was planning on putting in a 100 but the 120 is straight drop in and is lighter. Can hopefully control the power with the left thumb.

Was planning on putting in a 100 but the 120 is straight drop in and is lighter. Can hopefully control the power with the left thumb.

I started with a Fuji BT-86 Twin with Magneto. Flew well, but was marginal in the vertical. I now have a Turnigy 111 (basically a DLE-111 V2). Aircraft flies beautifully on this combo. Power to spare, but does require careful throttle management given it was designed for an 80cc.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
You right about that only 80cc hopefully I built it a little better and made some significant changes to the wing and stabilizer. Will look at the engine mounting and cowl when I get my hands on an engine. Keep looking at ZDZ engine but nobody around me has one. DA is the easiest to get parts for and exhaust headers.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I started with a Fuji BT-86 Twin with Magneto. Flew well, but was marginal in the vertical. I now have a Turnigy 111 (basically a DLE-111 V2). Aircraft flies beautifully on this combo. Power to spare, but does require careful throttle management given it was designed for an 80cc.
Are you saying cheerful throttle management for a reason.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
It’s one year and six months later and I am back into the 330L Extra. Got a DA 100L for it and planning the installation.
The first thing I noticed is that the cowl is not cut square and straight so I will have to tackle that first. Also just did a quick cowl fit to the fuselage does not look good the cowl is to big. When cowl is fitted to the top of the fuselage the bottom sticks out the bottom by a good 1/2 inch ?? Not sure how to fix that right now, will have to think about it for a while.
Presently trying to come up with a cowl ring to fit the over sized cowl, and blend into the fuselage.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Well decided to extend the bottom of the fuselage just enough to take up the extra cowl. The landing gear was just bolted to the bottom so I will blend the cowl extension to the gear. So that will now hide the gear to some degree.
The cowl ring is made, so now just glue it into the cowl and finish pinning the cowl attachment blocks.

9AFFB41C-0140-450D-8E7B-650C48059652.jpeg

TonyHallo

150cc
Are you going to glue the ring to the cowl? Glad to see you're back on this build, have a kit on the shelf and want to know how it ends!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Yes the ring will be glued into the cowl. The holdup was what engine was I going to buy for the plane, ended up with a DA100L.

Last edited: