• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 1/3 Scale Extra 330L Build.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
GP 123, DA120, and ZDZ 112
1 GP 123 looks like a good candidate just service in Canada is not great have GP 38 and it is one impressive engine love it so far but only 6 flights on it.
2.DA 120 love company great service and it made in the USA. Just it is a brut of and engine and rough but makes incredible power.
3. ZDZ 112 this is an engine I would like to own but just to expensive and again service none in Canada.
4. So I ended up with a DA-100L love the engine extremely smooth and runs great very reliable and just a easy engine to live with, it runs just like my DA150. I hate struggling at the field or anything like that do not like working on my stuff at the field I go to the field to fly and work on my stuff at home.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok that was fun “NOT” the cowl ring is in and clamped into place. Layered some epoxy around the inside perimeter of cowl and the light ply ring. just have wait 3 to 4 hours to see what I have ended up with. Probably will take a little work to get it to fit nicely to the fuselage time will tell.
1C0EB031-E58E-49A7-A5B8-11054124BAEF.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The cowl ring went on great. Spent the day fitting the cowl to the fuselage. Sanding and filling gaps so that the cowl and the fuselage blend into each other, and flush around the perimeter.
Photo to follow soon.
Cannot make up mind if should place the plywood bulkhead as required or buy an aluminum 1” spacer for Extreme flite and move the plywood bulkhead 1 inch back.

Last edited:

TonyHallo

150cc
I assume the bulkhead is the plate the engine is bolted to? AKA Firewall. I would position it to avoid the spacer if possible. That's me!

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I assume the bulkhead is the plate the engine is bolted to? AKA Firewall. I would position it to avoid the spacer if possible. That's me!
The firewall has been positioned so that no spacer is required. The only thing is you have to get it perfectly the first time no wiggle room.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Cowl is on and set so that it lines up with the fuselage. So bolted the engine in and it looks like the engine is placed one inch to high in the fuselage. I am stumped. Doing a bunch of research found and very old RCM article on the plane and they ran into the same problem and mentioned that if you drop the engine down an inch then everything will fit. Then found another article by the designer not to do that to leave the engine in its correct position because it will cause some coupling difficulties, and what ever else.
Will be making more changes to the cowl to make everything fit what a pain. One thing that will not fit is the recommended five inch spinner, that will have to probably go down to a four inch. Oh well one spare five inch spinner.
Just to see how it looks Moved the front of the cowl up to and match the five inch spinner it looked ridiculous.

97F27728-FFCD-4334-891E-8021395AED7F.jpeg