• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale 1/3 Scale Extra 330L Build.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Not much more to show but making some progress.
23868E8F-B46D-4437-9C84-6F03BA609AE4.jpeg

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Just received this bracket from a friend I fly with it is a bracket that holds a J/J Tailwheel in, the 3D print program was done by @AKNick . Thanks Nick looks great. This bracket and Tailwheel will be installed into the Extra.
Nick what screws did you design the bracket for.
220E1B86-ED9A-4EDB-8353-6C371D4E22BD.jpeg

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Ok need some help or advice, open a new box of number 11 blades. Started with an old box that I probably bought at least 10 years ago. Did about 1/3 of the covering job before it went dull. Opened a new box and for the next 1/3 of the covering job I must have used 10 blades they useless. Have you guys found the same thing and what blades are you using. This box has a hundred in will be used up in no time.

WMcNabb

150cc
Ok need some help or advice, open a new box of number 11 blades. Started with an old box that I probably bought at least 10 years ago. Did about 1/3 of the covering job before it went dull. Opened a new box and for the next 1/3 of the covering job I must have used 10 blades they useless. Have you guys found the same thing and what blades are you using. This box has a hundred in will be used up in no time.

Never seen anything like that with Ultracote. It’s tough on blades, yes, but not 10 for 1/3 of the job.
I’m using razor blades, not knife blades.

0028EBB9-B65B-45E9-B944-8BDD8947E953.jpeg

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I have some of those but I am not as proficient with them as I am with a #11 blade. I will use them but not my go to.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Not much to report just plugging away at it. Hopefully tomorrow it will be covered and once it is done I will take a picture of the parts.
Still waiting for some parts and some bits and pieces for the assembly. Still have to do a final CG check so that I can build all the internal supports for the radio equipment.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
PAINT HELP PLEASE.
Getting back to the job of painting the cowl. Many of you have given me some recommendations and suggestions. I have read most of it again, which I am going follow and try. So going to try latex paint and have them colour matched with their machines.
So cover a piece balsa with the three colours to get matched. I have one question concerning the colour matching. Should I not spray paint the balsa first with the primer that I am going to use and then cover the balsa with Ultracote. Will that not give me a better colour match.

Last edited:

TonyHallo

150cc
I just take the wing to the autobody supply house and let them match the actual parts. I pretty sure latex goes on heavier than automotive paint so I don't think bleed through will be a problem. Make sure you let the primer flash off for a least seven days before putting the latex on, don't ask me how I know this, I thought 5 days was long enough. I might even let the primer dry for two weeks if I use latex again. The fine line tape pulled the base color off down to the primer while the remaining masking tape did not. I had the whole fuselage covered with tape. I had previously painted the wings without issue however there was a longer time between primer and color.
I used Rustoleum gloss latex, thinned about 25% with windshield washer fluid with Flood Floetrol added. A photo of wings after buffing.

IMG_1649.JPG
IMG_1699.JPG

Last edited: